Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohgirl_gw

What a surprise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ohgirl
16 years ago

Hi all. Guess everyone is busy overwintering nannas and other plants. Ive got my basjoo baby all wrapped up for the winter, and brought the others inside the house. Anyway......JurassicDaryl gave me 9 dwarf cavendish!!! They are still beautiful. They are 5&6ft tall,and some with pups! I was in the basement the other day misting them, talking to them, making sure the humidifier had water, etc. I was finished and heading back upstairs when I saw a leaf drop. I thought that was odd,seeing as though a couple of times a day or more iam down there checking on them. I was going to shrug it off, but another leaf fell(or so i thought) Well I thought i better investicate! I got closer to my nanna and a leaf flew around me.What a surprise! It was a baby bird. Somehow an egg dropped in the banana leaf and opened in my basement. It survived the trip from JurassicDaryls place, getting the nanna potted up, and the move to the basement!I recieved the nannas Oct6,07. I saw the babybird oct20th. Its still flying around. I put food and water down there for it.Good luck!Isnt that something?! Does anyone else have a story about what came in with their bananas. I just thought i would share. Ohgirl

Comments (10)

• bearstate
    16 years ago

Surprises are great.

I haven't found any unusual critters included with any plants, but I have had visitors, like Dragon Flies and Swallow Tails.

My surprises have been other plants, like the 'Royal Purple' Bougainvilleas that suddenly showed up in my garden strip, growing out of Climbing Roses after 4 years of dormancy and neglect. Old dead stumps hidden in the Climbing Roses just suddenly came to life!

Then too, I've had strange things come to life and later found that they had sprouted from seeds that I had thought failed and so, recycled the soil that they had been planted in. I've got things sprouting out of pots that have since been used for other plants. It's absolutely astonishing, from Palm saplings to Iris and other seedlings. I figured the seeds got cooked to death in the heat of Summer and now that temps have dropped, the recycled soil is mixing the seedlings with potted plants that I moved into bigger pots, using the recycled soil as fill.

I have some very odd combinations, indeed. And they can't just up and fly away.

• fozebear
    16 years ago

How cool! I don't have any hitchhikers but I have a story. My father wasn't afraid of anything EXCEPT spiders. He was in the Marine Corps at the end of WWII and was stationed in Guam. His favorite fruits were bananas and figs. So, he and his buddies would hike out and cut a big stalk of bananas and carry them back to their unit. One day, after he and his buddy had hauled a big nanner bunch back to camp, they dropped it onto the ground and out crawled what the locals called a banana spider. HUGE, hairy beast the size of a dinner plate. He said that was the last stalk of bananas he ever touched outside of a grocery store!

• bearstate
    16 years ago

There is a spider that lives in Banana clusters in some tropical countries that has a very venomous bite and apparently, the cause of death for banana harvesters and later, folks who handle the bananas on the way to or at market.

It's a tiny little critter, but the spiders hitchhiking or living in Bananas are in that case, worth being afraid of.

• nyssaman
    16 years ago

I still think that talking to them is the most important thing you can do when caring for your bananas..lol

• gardenguy_
    16 years ago

fozebear, you mean like THIS "little" guy? ; )

banana spider!

• bearstate
    16 years ago

Wicked! But this, like the Golden Orb Weaver, which we called Banana Spiders as kids, back in the Midwest, is called a Banana Spider because of its yellow colors.

No, the critter I refer to is I believe, the Brazilian Wandering Spider. The link below shows a nice picture of one in a petre dish so that its size can be judged.

There are other web sites about this spider, but the photos do not hint at its size and actually, those photos make it look as big as the one in your photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brazilian Wandering Spider (Banana Spider )

• ohgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nyssaman not only do I talk to them i keep a small radio going for the ones in the basement. I know I have gone bananas cuz I KISS them, mist them with my concoction several xs aday, make sure their humidifier is full, rotate them, check on them , OH MY!!! ........Ohgirl

• pbmbfl
    16 years ago

I DO NOT HAVE A BANANA IN MY HOUSE BUT OUTSIDE AND THERE ARE ALLWAYS CUBAN TREE FROGS ON IT I DONT REALY CARE THAT MUCH

• hibiscus909
    16 years ago

Wow, that is quite amazing! How is the little guy doing? I actually don't know much about baby birds. I hope you found the right food source for him.

Here's my interesting critter story:
    Starbucks gives away used coffee grounds in mylar-type bags. I often leave them around the yard, where they eventually get reused for something. One year I had a carolina wren build a nest in one. Another year, a mouse with her babies enjoyed a bag that still had grounds in it.

seahorse

• hueytlatoani
    16 years ago

As a teenager I worked in a grocery store for a while, once when opening a crate of grapes I found a black widow inside. I captured it and showed it to my manager and said something to the effect of "This was in the grapes. Should we fumigate them or soemthing?" to which he gave a reply along the lines of "Nah, squish it and put the grapes out." I made sure there were no more spiders in the crate of course. It was a bit creepy because customers touch grapes with their hands, and black widows bite, and can mess you up pretty bad (Especially if you're a child or elderly). On a happier note, once I opened a package of Polypeltis ferns I ordered mailorder and got a tiny baby praying mantis in the package. Little guy came out as soon as I opened the box.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz