Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redbeard92

Another annoying Basjoo question

redbeard92
18 years ago

This is the first winter for my now in-ground 6' pseudostem Basjoo. We had a light frost 2 nights ago and the stems are green, the leaves are greenish/coppery, but the leaves are all drooping down.

Temps are back up to 50's/60's during the day and 40's at night. Should I chop it now, or wait till it gets hit a few more times and gets crispy? I'm just going to cut it to a few inches above the ground and dump a bag of mulch on top.

My main concern is that it's really not all that cold yet, we just had a brief cold "snap".

Thanx,

Rob

Comments (11)

• Las_Palmas_Norte
    18 years ago

I'd wait as you said, for a couple more light frosts, then knock it back. This could be rather unsightly though if your next frost is a month away.

Cheers, Barrie.

• hibiscus909
    18 years ago

I cut off some leaves, where the midrib was still greenish but the rest of it was damaged. The cut end ended up oozing liquid for a while.
    I left the rest of the leaves for now. Yeah, it is quite unsightly :(
    s.

• tropicalintoronto
    18 years ago

I still have mine unprotected here in a zone 5b/6a. I'm waiting for one good night where the temps drop below freezing before I put my Basjoo down for the winter. I agree that it doesn't look like it did in the summer however it is nice to be able to still see it standing in mid November!

• doniki
    18 years ago

I too have not yet done anything with my Basjoo. We've had one night at 30F and other nights in the low to mid 30's, but mine is up against the house, so there hasn't been much damage to the leaves... They are still green... I'm waiting for Thursday night's 24F. That should take care of the Basjoo leaves...

• redbeard92
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OK Good, cause tomorrow is supposed to be about 65-67 degrees, and I don't want to "jump the gun".

Rob

• Boca_Joe(zone 7b) southern Delaware
    18 years ago

I leave mine till they are nice and cripsy brown and fold down over the plant till spring.

I like the dead look - LOL!

Boca Joe

• redbeard92
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Boca Joe,

You are in 6b/7a and don't protect at all? Do your stems freeze? I assume they just start at ground level in the spring.

Can I just leave the stems, dump mulch around the base, and just cut back in spring?

Thanks!

Rob

• doniki
    18 years ago

Well talk about crisp.... 24F this morning and they were toasted... It's not getting much above freezing today and its going down to 20F tonight... Now I wish I would have protected it sooner.. I didn't think the bottom would drop out... Oh well, Hope 20F doesn't ruin too much of the pseudostem...

• jamesco
    18 years ago

Wow. Winter came fast in other parts of this country I see.

My area usually freezes almost a month ago. We had this long, nice indian autumn without frost,(great nasturtium time) but two nights ago a heck of a wind brought the low-twenties F. Basjoo and Cannas were buzzed, but the Zantedeschia is still leafy... Odd.

As we say in CO; "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute."

• chills71
    18 years ago

James...They say that everywhere.

~Chills

• Chevygold85
    18 years ago

We don't say that here in Maryland :) We say, "Oh jee, snow showers tomorrow..NO SCHOOL!!!" hehehehe