Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Banana plants falling over

Posted by terrisofla 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 8, 10 at 15:50

I have two groups of Dwarf Cavandish and live in Broward County near the Everglades. My trees did not bloom all year, I suppose due to the cold winter we had last year, but now are all blooming at the same time. I didn't count, but I would say there are about 10 bunches of bananas right now. I've had a problem for the last couple of years with the trees falling over when they fruit. Does anyone know why this happens? Would some fertilizer help? I also have black spots on leaves and fruit. Copper fungicide usually helps. Does anyone else have to spray their trees with copper? Thanks for any help...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Banana plants falling over

I did a little research since posting this yesterday and just in case someone else is having this problem one possible explanation for the trees falling is that they may be water sprouts. I haven't paid much attention to the bananas this year, so maybe some of the water sprouts grew up and are blooming now. Supposedly they are not as well attached as the sword suckers. Here's a picture of the two mats along with everything I just removed from them including the blossom ends.
Photobucket
I decided to give them some fertilizer and horse manure. Not sure if that's the right thing, but it's done.

o

Nice Bananas! You might want to check out...

http://webebananas.com/culture.html

There are some good tips for propping up your plants.

o

thanks wildforager,

That article was great. I guess this is a common problem and I need to get lots of PVC!!

o

Great Banana plants!
How did you post the picture?
Thanks,

o

Wow. My dwarf cavendish gets to half that size and grows bananas that are in smaller amounts. I live on a rocky landfill in west broward. I guess that doesn't let my cavendish grow as big as yours.
Just stake your banana plants to help them support the weight of the bananas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here