Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bxlent

New to Banana Plants - Just hit by frost and damaged

bxlent
15 years ago

I live in Columbus, Ohio and I have two banana plants that I purchased just before a frost hit my area of the country. I do not know the species of my plants, they have dark green leaves with red veins and branch stocks. Both were hit hard by the frost and most leaves are damaged. Both plants are now in my house in the pots I purchased them in.

My question: Is it possible to cut back the plants and store their root (bulb?) like other plants, i.e. Cannas? In other words if I cut the plants back and remove the dirt from the roots, will the remains go into a state of hibernation (store in a dark dry cool area) for the winter and then I can replant them in the spring after the final frost. I may be out of my head but I needed to asked.

The other option if my first question shows my stupidity about banana plants, do I need to place the remains of the plants (partial leaves that are still alive with new leaf development) in a sunny window for light and hope for the best? I'll take any suggestions, as I am new at trying to grow bananas. Thank you to anyone who responds.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County