Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ensete Maurelii Pups

Posted by rokal LongIsland/z6b (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 3, 11 at 18:34

This summer I decided to try an experiment and chopped down one of my Ensete Maurelii plants to see if I could get it to produce pups. It sat in the ground for about 4-6 weeks looking real sad but eventually started to send up pups.

Since we had our first frost last week, I decided to bring it indoors and put it under HID lights.

<

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ensete Maurelii Pups

Congrats. Back when I was collecting bananas I had one of these that didn't make it. While reading up on them I saw a process of cutting down to the corm and making a trench down the middle. It yielded LOTS of really small "pups", looked more like tissue cultures. The other thing I read was something like cut the corm in half and plant it on it's side. Either way you seem to have accomplished what is supposed to be pretty difficult. Good luck separating them. Enjoy your Maurelli jungle!

o

Didn't know they did that...Colocasia Thai giant either
but mine grew a shoot this summer,good thing too cuz it
was snapped in a windstorm!

Find more about Weather in Fairfield, IA
Click for weather forecast

o

• Posted by rokal LongIsland/z6b (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 18, 11 at 8:08

Colocasia Thai giant will send out pups without damaging the mother plant. This fall, I managed to separate about a 1/2 dozen Thai giant pups and bring them in for the winter. The mother plants were enormous and way too big and bulky to attempt to overwinter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here