Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
simmering_gw

New Banana Pups just prior to winter - Help!

simmering
15 years ago

OK Â IÂve read so much stuff here and elsewhere on BananaÂs that my head is spinning now. Maybe someone with some experience can offer me some advice. My well meaning wife came home from a party at a friend of a friendÂs house the other day with 2 "pups" in tow. They have been on my deck for a couple of weeks now and fortunately our fall weather has been very mild (only barely down to 32 2 nights) so they are still looking pretty good. The soil they are in is real heavy so they were obviously dug outa the ground. I have no idea exactly what type of banana they are. They are about 1 foot tall and well leafed out. I am in Zone 8 and from what IÂve been reading it would seem there is a good chance I can end up leaving these in the ground with the proper soil, fertilizer, and winter mulching. BUT, since we are knocking on the door of winter I suspect trying to put these guys out even with a lot of mulch will be the wrong course to take at this time. If I repot these into a good potting soil with extra pearlite and water only when close to dry for the balance of the winter indoors is it likely they could survive until spring? Other suggestions?