Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help....banana pole?

Posted by dino1 ny (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 6, 06 at 18:48

please help....i had a healthy dwarf ornico in a pot in the house, that was about 5' tall. it was devasted recently., not by pests but my 3 year old son. he cut all the leaves and part of the top off. what can i do to make it come back?
do i store it away for winter the way it is and hope it comes back, or can i do something now to save it.
do i cut it all they back?
i also have it under a grow light so it gets plenty of light

thanks
dino1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help....banana pole?

Yes. If it is indoors, warm and has good light (gro light, for instance) keep it watered and fertilized, and it will be fine. Or store it as is, and it will come back in the Spring. There is no need to trim any further, except for dead material (brown or yellow) or rotting spots (black, squishy).

o

Remember, bananas grow from the underground corm.
You can keep it warm and it will just start making new leaves. Your original pseudostem may or may not survive, but the corm would most likely produce a new pup to replace it.

Or you could store it dormant: cool and dry.

seahorse

o

thanks for the help....im new to this, but loving them!
i cut the top off clean, and noticed its trying to send up new growth.

will this be a new leaf??

thanks
dino1

o

Yes, it's a new leaf. I myself do purposely cut off the leaves on my bananas during the winter to store them under the house. You can cut a banana any way you want, but rest assured the plant will grow back just fine. The most important part of a banana is the corm, which is a bulb like structure at the base of the plant in the ground from which the banana grows from and also, the roots grow from.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here