Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need tips for green fruit to ripen inside

Posted by nychris 7b NC (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 8, 05 at 19:06

OK...The weather has held up nice up to this point here in NC....80 degrees today and tomorrow,so this weekend i will be digging up all my plants..I have two nanas that fruited this summer..My Ice Cream and an Unkown nana...The fruit is still green..I think i read something one time about cutting the stalk and bringing inside and putting the cut end in a bucket of water? until they ripen?
Anyone have any ideas?

My icecream has 5 hands with about ten nanas on each. they are about 4 inches long
My unknown i'm not sure if it is a cooking nana or a fruit nana but the nanas are much bigger probably around 6 t0 7 inches and much fatter

Thanks for the help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need tips for green fruit to ripen inside

I called my friend Jack here in town, he just digs his plants up and leaves the bananas on them and stores them dormant.When he digs up the plants, he puts the roots in a plastic trash bag and then puts them in the dark garage. They go ahead and ripen up, but it takes them a while. It does pull a lot of the energy out of the plant. He said to cut off the bloom if it's still on there so it doesn't try to set more fruit. One of the rajas you sent me got huge this summer!

o

i leave mine before first frost or until they're plumped up.
then cut down and hang in kitchen till they yellowish ..
on ice cream can't remember if they need black before done are not. try a yellowish soft one first, if done then that's it.. if not let them get some blackish to them. like store bought going bad..

i tryed the water gig and just wasn't worth the extra effort.

Here is a link that might be useful: banana pics

o

Where are my bananas?? I sent you a box full of plumeria almost 2 months ago. AT YOUR REQUEST. You initiated the trade you should live up to your end.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here