Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
red_sea_me

tissue cultured corms?

red_sea_me
17 years ago

I ordered some tissue cultured corms (sp?) from Florida, among them pitogo. I hope when they arrive they will contain a "how to", in case not, any help on preparation would be useful. I plan to grow them in pots indoors 'til they get bigger and spring rolls around. Does this sound right? any special soils? big pots small pots? moisture, fert? Thanks, any help is much appreciated,

-Ethan

Comments (5)

• gcmastiffs
    17 years ago

I got a 72 count pack of TC Red/Green Bananas from a local wholesaler. They were beautiful, miniature Banana trees, ready to be repotted. I hope yours are as nice! They were about 3-4" of perfect stem/leaves and 1" of strong roots.

I have had no problems at all with them. I potted them up into 1 gallon and 3 gallon pots. When I ran out of 1 gallon, I used 3 gallon. They have all grown very well.

They like well draining soil, plenty of water and fertilizer. I used slow release Osmocote at first, now I use compost.

Lisa

• red_sea_me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thank you Lisa, I hope they are as healthy as yours. Wow 72 bananas, I know that is not your only variety. How many total edible banana plants? I suppose you have to plant a few extra for the hurricanes to prune. I picked up a COTRG cant wait to see it bloom (in a few years?). Thanks again, happy growing,
    -Ethan

• chena
    17 years ago

Hey Lisa did you keep them in the GH or where ?
    Chena

• red_sea_me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

they arrived yesterday (11/16), I ordered them from Going Bananas in FL. I ordered pitogo, praying hands, dwarf namwah, and misi luki. They arrived healthy & green, from 1'-2.5' tall with healthy roots. I potted them up in a fast draining mix containing a peat/coir mix, soil, compost, perlite, and a little composted chicken manure mixed in at the very bottom. I'm misting them and aclimating them to the gh during the day, bringing them in at night for a week. They look great, hope I can keep them that way. Happy growing,
    -Ethan

• gcmastiffs
    17 years ago

Chena, no, they are all outside. Most are still in pots, but will be used for my Banana/Bamboo hedge. I was amazed at how fast they grew, and are still growing! From tiny babies to respectable sized trees in only a few months!

Ethan, GB has a great reputation. I bet you will be very happy with your new trees!

I'm not sure how many varieties I have. Now that some are fruiting, I hope to be able to label them, with the fruit as help with ID. I know I have Ice Cream, D. Cavendish, Ele Ele, Double Mahoi, Ducasse (Pisang Awak),Dwarf Orninoco, Dwarf Reds, Dwarf Namwah,FHIA-1 "Goldfinger", FHIA SH3008,
    Kofi, Kru, Manzano (Apple), Lady Finger, Mysore, Pisang Ceylon,Red Iholene, Williams Hybrid, Super Plantain and Super Dwarf Cavendish. I got most wholesale, as TC babies, at a very low price. Others I traded for. Some came from local nurseries, or Home Depot. I did label them, but after 3 hurricanes, 99% of the labels were lost. So, I have mystery Bananas everywhere(G).

Congrats on your new babies!!!

Lisa

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting