Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicnyc7

Basjoo winter care

tropicnyc7
13 years ago

I have a basjoo banana plant here in nyc and I need to know how to winterize it. Winters here rarely go into the single digits and almost never drop below that. The plant is about 3 feet tall.

Comments (3)

• gardenbee_va
    13 years ago

Hi:
    I am new to your forum. So HELLO TO ALL and good to be here.

I have a group of banana plants of two varieties. The one (MUSA/basjoo)is supposed to give fruit. The tallest is nearly 9 ft with only a stem diameter of 5 inches.Very slim, very tall. I bought this plant this year and it has given 4 baby shoots which I have re-potted. The ornamental variety I had since three years. It had given young shoots as well and I had planted those in the ground. Last year for winter, I had piled up fall leaves around the stems but had cut them down to the base. They all died, except for the one I took inside. It also gave young shoots this year.

My question is when do I take these plants indoors. I am from Virginia and though we have sun, it is pretty cold and down to the 40s at night. Should I be taking them indoors (garage) now, where I have put "grow lights"? I guess I do not remove the leaves unless they dry up indoors.

What are the chances that I would ever get bananas?
    Also the leaves seem to be rotting internally. When I cut a leave that is fallen over, it has rot all through the stem. Is this anything I have to worry about?

I know those are a lot of questions, but I love my banana plants and need help. I would like to send pictures of the banana plants. How do I handle this?
    Thanks in advance.

• tropicnyc7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

1. Instead of dry leaves you should cut the bananas about 6-12 inches from the ground and cover them with mulch. Try to protect them from too much water over the winter. Basjoos should take well below freezing, especially where you are.
    2. If you overwinter them indoors, there is NO NEED to cut off the leaves. Keep them cool and water them sparingly.
    3. It is pretty rare to get bananas out of the tropics, but Basjoos produce unedible bananas with loads of seeds, or so i've heard. Bananas need about 18 months of constant sun and 80 degree temps.
    4.Check your plant for any insects or diseases. Remember that all bananas are heavy feeders and should be fertilized at least once a week during the growing season (summer). Try to improve your soil. Bananas enjoy water, but can die if they are left standing in it. Try to loosen up the soil and help the drainage by adding pebbles, vermiculite, coarse sand, etc...
    5. To post pics, i believe you have to post them online and copy the URL (web address) in the Optional Link URL box below the message box.

Hope this all helps, and good luck from NYC!

• jimhardy
    13 years ago

You also don't need grow lights in your garage unless
    it stays over 70 in there,they will most likely go dormant.

As t7 said use heavy mulch instead of leaves for your planted Basjoos,
    you should have no problem overwintering there-mine came back here in Iowa.