Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imqtpi

When Do I Pick 'Em (OR: Any Saba Growers Out There?!!)

imqtpi
16 years ago

Hi GW Nanna-People!

I'm sorry I've not been an Active poster on this board... Been far too busy over on the Greenhouses/Garden Structures Forum! (since my "Summer Project" was to build a 6x8 GH to overwinter my smaller "marginals!").

I posted, earlier this year, about my extreme excitement over the discovery of an inflorescence on my Saba Nanna (who - I thought - was a "goner" after last winter's miserable freeze!).

Anyway, he's been "Doing His Thing" all summer. The fruits are about the size of my thumb (So I'm not anticipating any huge Banana Splits or anything!!!). They're still pretty green, though. I'm not sure when/if I should cut them down. Nor do I know what to do with them, once I do!!!

I've put up a website, documenting the "Adventure" (such as it is!). Can any of you Nanna Experts take a look-see and let me know when I should cut these puppies down? I suspect they aren't going to turn yellow while they're still on the tree.

We dip into freezing temps (typically) around late-December (although I can't recall exactly when the plants were decimated - probably mid- to late-December).

Anyhoooo, I welcome ANY feedback!

Thanks!

-Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: 2007 I've Gone Bananas

Comments (6)

• pitangadiego
    16 years ago

In San Diego, about 9-10 months to ripen. Nice fruit.

• imqtpi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks pitandiego!

So, 9-10 months means the fruit won't be mature 'til March - April '08? Ughhh!

Your temps are far more suitable to nana-growing, so you may not have my answers! But I'm assuming that these fruits are *not* going to be happy w/freezing temps...

Presently, our nighttime temps are hitting the mid 40's (daytime temps are mild, mid- to upper-70's). Growth has slowed, of course - but the fruits are still hangin' in there!

Late Nov, I think we'll be hitting mid-30's at night. Mid Dec is when the 20's arrive (Brrr!). And I think that's when the nanna plants got "hit," last year, and looked dead.

Should I wait 'til the afternoon before our first predicted frost, and try to cut the flower stalk down (and the nanna plant as well - leaving the pups)? Or do they stand a chance, if they remain on the plant? Bearing in mind, he's appx 15' tall and there is NO way for me to throw anything over them (nor can he come into the house or GH, unfortunately. Saba is just *toooo* big!)

If I do cut the stalk down, what do I do then? Do the fruits stand a chance of ripening? (i.e. put the individual hands into baggies w/apples, or whatever). Leave 'em on the flower stalk and move 'em someplace warm?

Or am I pretty much S.O.L.? (I'm still thrilled that it fruited, but I was hoping to be able to EAT something!)

Thanks for any advice!

-Nancy

• pitangadiego
    16 years ago

As long as it is above freezing, they should stay on the tree. That is the best scenario. Doesn't mtter so much if the leaves fade out.

• imqtpi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

...But when it *does* hit freezing (and I think it's very safe to assume that it *will* freeze between now and March!), what is my "Best Case Scenario" for harvesting edible fruit?

Say "Best Case" would be early January for the first hard freeze @ I've "searched" the GW board, and haven't been able to find a "definitive answer!" (Tons of hits, but I haven't stumbled onto the answer, yet! Or maybe I'm "missing something!").

Thanks, again, for advice and insight! ;-)

-Nancy

• bananafan
    16 years ago

I have a Saba too, but it's only a baby (about 3 ft tall). I can imagine your dilemma. Your Saba almost reminds me of a pregnant woman--the question is whether to carry the baby to full term or have it delivered now. I'm no banana guru myself, but I'm guessing maybe to keep the fruit as long as possible with the mama. That way they still can grow. I don't know what will happen to the fruit when it freezes. Will the fruit become frozen and die off? If they will, then cut them off at the first sign of a freeze. That way, maybe you still can save them. Saba produces cooking bananas right? So, maybe you still can cook them even if they are not fully ripe? If your Saba has pups, it would be easier to protect them since they're still small. So even if the mama gets damaged in the cold, hopefully her pups will continue the family line and flourish when the warm weather returns. Best wishes to your Saba.

• neilaz
    16 years ago

About the only thing you can do is wait till the first frost, cut them down and hope for the best. If they are not full size by this time,well maybe next year. You are going to need at least six months on the tree to have any chance

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz