Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maquiaveli

Ensete Ventricosum and Low Humidity

Maquiaveli
10 years ago

Hi, I have created for myself a little garden of sorts in my office (as you can see in the photo). Among the plants I have are some ensete ventricosum and ensete glaucum, all of which I grew from seed in my office (probably not the best use of company time!).

Recently, I've noticed a number of the leaves on my ensete are basically collapsing (see the second photo in the follow-up). I'm wondering if this is normal or a sign of excessive dryness or something else. As we're heading into winter, the humidity in my office is dropping to as low as 10% (inside temperature is peaking now at about 25C, give or take). I'm trying to mist the plants several times a day; I'm keeping them on humidity trays; and I plan to get a humidifier soon.

Does anyone have any idea if the folding leaves is a sign of dryness, lack of water, or something more serious? Or, perhaps this is just normal. I'm a bit concerned because I haven't seen them do this previously, and I really want these guys to survive the winter months (temperature inside will get as low as about 12C when they turn the heat off on the weekends). Any thoughts or tips?

Thanks!

Comments (4)