Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananafan

Jamaican Red Question

bananafan
16 years ago

My Jamaican Red has been doing very well until the weather gets cooler here. First its leaves turn yellow which is normal with the weather change I guess, but the thing that worries me now is that it's pups (3-4 of them) are turning black and drying off. Does this mean they're dying and never coming back? The pups have been there since summer, but their growth has been super slow or not noticeable at all. None of them have grown past 2 feet, some have even remained a few inches tall only. Is this their normal growth habit? Would appreciate hearing about your experience with this plant.

Comments (8)

• topher2006
    16 years ago

If you still have some that are healthy i would seperate them from mama and pot them up if it was me.

• bananafan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The pups are so small that I'm afraid they may not make it if I were to separate them. In any case, I don't have much to lose. As it is, they really look more dead than alive to me, but I think I'll go ahead to separate them and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

• lac1361
    16 years ago

If the pups are drying up and turning black, I would not separate now. You didn't mention how tall they are but the taller they are, the better the chance of survivability. The summer is the very best time to separate the pups; the winter time is the worst. During winter, a lot of my pups, especially the 2 or 3 inch nubs just disappear back into the soil only to reappear in the spring. I grow this banana in a container and it is somewhat cold sensitive, looks terrible during the winter, but comes back in the spring. It certainly can tolerate temps down to close to freezing; at least that's been my experience.

Steve

• bananafan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The pups are from few inches to about 2 ft tall. If they'll come back in the Spring or Summer, I'll wait for a while to see what happens. Thanks for the response and have a happy and "fruitful" new year!

• siegel2
    16 years ago

Jamaican Red are more sensitive to cold than any other banana plant I've tried. My yard rarely drops into the 30's and I never have a problem with any other type of banana, but I have given up on Jamaican Red.

If you are in zone 9, Jamaican Red won't have a chance.

• bananafan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm beginning to see that red bananas are indeed not easy to deal with. My mother Kru died beginning this year, leaving behind a pup. The pup grew to almost 8 ft and bent over too. I thought I could save it, but then came a night of freeze. That was it. My Jamaican red now looks very sickly. I don't know if it will ever come back. I did bring in some potted young reds like Rose (if it's considered a red), Zebrina and Sumatrana to save them from the cold damage. Once they're planted them in the ground, they won't stand a chance. Unless I have a greenhouse, I think planting the reds would be quite a chore. BUT, I'm still hoping against hope that the Red Jamaican will survive. Will see if it will push out a new leaf. Everything here looks brown, but several of them are beginning to push out a few inches of green growth now. So there's hope for them.

• lac1361
    16 years ago

Bananafan,

Sumatrana will be hardy in your zone in the ground. Mine survives lows of 24 and reshoots each spring.

Steve

• bananafan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's good to hear that, Steve. Mine was in the ground last year in a sunny spot, but for some reason unknown to me, it was doing very poorly and its stem was beginning to rot. It was my only plant and I got scared and dug it out from the ground, striped the rotting layer off the pseudostem and left it standing in a partial sun location infront of my house. Fortunately, it got around and was doing fine, but when the cold front came, its leaves began to brown and that was when I hauled it indoor to cut down more damage. Between the Sumantrana and the Zebrina, the Zebrina seems to be more hardy. That is only my short experience with them.