Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
paper-thin, translucent leaves

Posted by ahajmano sunset 23 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 1:40

Hello fellow banana nuts,

I planted a dwarf cavendish about two months ago. I have gotten new growth with about three full leaves.

The problem is, the most recent leaf that came up has paper thin translucent patches on it (see image). What do you think causes this?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: paper-thin, translucent leaves

That sort of looks like sunburn in the middle, where the leaf appears to be dry. Though it seems odd it would be getting sunburn in December. Maybe someone else will see this and give advice.

o

• Posted by john_ny z6/7 Sunset 34 (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 15:37

You don't say how much water it's been getting. It appears to be in a container. I'm not sure what's causing the drying. I would guess it's a lack of water.

That plant, though, sure doesn't look like a Cavendish to me; more like a Maurelii.

o

It is in the ground and the soil seems sufficiently moist. I have a new leaf coming up now so I will check for consistency.

It was sold as a Dwarf Cavendish, but you never know with these nurseries... It is however consistent with a dwarf, as it has not increased in height (at 4'), while it has gotten thicker and put out more foliage. My ice cream planted at the same time, has increased 30% in height.

o

Now, as I said before, the problem could be from lack of proper water. It could be from numerous other causes. An insect may have crawled down in the cigar leaf, as it was emerging. It could also be from overwatering, or cold damage. (although I see from my Sunset book that you are somewhere is southern California) that would not be likely. The reason that I said it looked more like a Maurelii, is shown in the attached picture.

I will also send a picture of a Dwarf Cavendish, but it will have to be in a subsequent post, as I don't know how to send multiple images on this site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maurelii

o

Thanks John. I do have a earwig problem here, so maybe it was an insect. Just seemed very unusual that I was unable to find a relevant example anywhere online.

o

I've had a couple leaves push up on my musa's like that. Not sure the cause but it doesn't happen on every leaf.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here