Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonsaist

my Musa Basjoo - pix

bonsaist
17 years ago

I've been growing this banana here in my Pennsylvania garden, for the past 3 years.

It's grown next to my cool greenhouse. I usually leave it uncovered during winter with no problem. You can also see the Elephant Ear plant below it, have also survived 2 winters here in zone 6.

{{gwi:424398}}

Bass

Comments (20)

• midwestjeff
    17 years ago

mine I cut to the ground every year here east of St. Louis Missouri and for the last two winters it has grown comparable in size to yours

• newbirdman
    17 years ago

It doesnt look like you get much wind on your property since I dont see any leaves that are shredded except for the one near the greenhouse. Well I just planted 2 basjoos here in NJ in the spring so we'll see how they do . As of 2 days ago they still have some green leaves but with the temps in the 20's now , I dont think so .Rick

• GAAlan
    17 years ago

Nice looking plant. What is the lowest temp you've had since you planted it?

I have two basjoos myself and they fruit regularly down here even being grown in the open. Last winter here was very mild though. My lowest was only 22F! I had 17F(lowest so far) this morning, which is my first low under 20F since 1/24/05.

• bonsaist
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The past 3 winters temperatures have dropped to around -5°F then the following spring it grows back.
    I normally cut them down to the ground and put a layer of mulch in top of it. This year I might leave it alone to test it without.

Bass

• mersiepoo
    17 years ago

Wow, great pictures! I got a musa basjoo this year, and was too chicken to plant it outside this winter. It's inside holding it's own. What sort of soil did you plant it in? Beautiful! I'm south of Waynesburg, near WV.

• bonsaist
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Our soil here is Clay. If you plan to grow it in ground, make sure you plant it in spring. Let it grow freely, so the root system grow strong. In spring it will sprout back.
    Your climate in WV should be similiar to mine.

Bass

• mersiepoo
    17 years ago

Thank you for the advice! I have to watch any plants I put in because if I use really rich soil, I'll have racoons digging it up (or mice or chipmunks, or...).

Did you amend the soil with anything (like peat, vermiculite, compost, etc?

Too bad the bananas aren't edible... ;>

Happy New Year!

• bonsaist
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I didn't amend the soil at all. This banana seems to thrive in the soil I have, it's Clay soil. I do however fertilize it with miracle grow about once a month in growing season.
    It haven't bloomed for me yet. I'm not sure if fruits of Basjoo can be used in cooking like plantine.

Bass

• bluebonsai101
    17 years ago

I've had mine for 7 years outside in the Pittsburgh area now...cut it off about 1.5 feet high and bury it every winter and in the spring it comes back. They will not flower in zone 6a anyway....the season is too short. Mine is in good soil and since I am too lazy to fertilize this thing I just toss a 40 pound bag of manure on it in the spring when I uncover it and that last it for the season in terms of fertilizer. They are a lot of fun and make a nice conversation piece....I can not tell you how many people have walked up or driven up and asked what that plant is...when I tell tham a banana they say that is what they thought but could not imagine how that could be in my climate. Every year there are a couple of pups a good 2 feet from the main clump so I separate those and give them away to like minded plant people. I think that I might try a couple of other hardy Himalayan species this summer and see if they can overwinter :o) Dan

• beachplant
    17 years ago

I'm jealous! My bananas are all shredded! One of the hazards of a windy place.
    That is one very pretty plant.
    TallyHO!

• gardenguy_
    17 years ago

bluebonsai101, basjoos will fruit, but if they are cut, it makes it seem impossible. I have had a Basjoo here for 2 years so far. The first year I planted it in a pot then moved it to the ground. The basjoo was the size of a pinky finger. It grew to about 3-4 feet tall in the first summer. I wrapped it up, only cutting off the leaves. It survived stem and all. This past summer, it grew to about 8-9 feet tall. Since I'm in the process of redoing the garden, I had to dig it up and store it. So far it's doing good in the basement. Again, this fall, I've only cut the leaves off and left the stem intact. If the basjoo survives the winter this year in the basement, I may be able to get it to flower. It's all about keeping the stem intact. I will of course provide pics and updates when it starts getting warm again this spring and throughout the summer. It seems tho, that can't happen fast enough. Winter is definitely my least favorite time of year.

• nucci60
    17 years ago

gardenguy,I am trying to store a few bananas out of the pot and dormant in my basement.(60.f). they are doing well except the basjoo. It had almost four foot of stem but has withered like a dead cornstalk. the corm looks healthy though. Do you think it was too warm? I have since potted it up and giving it light, so as not to lose it

• gardenguy_
    17 years ago

nucci, the higher temps do not help, but how's the humidity? I understand that you want to keep the height, but as long as the corm is good, you will still have a banana.

• iliketerrariums
    17 years ago

Hi all, This is my first posting here, I have the same banana (basjoo) and its been in the ground in front of my rowhome for about 5 years now, never flowered but grows tall, about 7 feet or more every summer, I do nothing but mulch it in the fall, dont even cut it down, it survives the nasty Philly winter and comes up strong in the spring, it, the crom, seems to be "protected" from the winter inside the stem, I planted one but have about eight now! I cut through the concrete pavement and planted it right into the gritty mixture of soil and ashes that lay under the concrete paving, the masons used this mixture years ago to fill over the soil before laying the concrete, I have people stopping almost on a daily basis asking what it is, when I say,"banana plant" they go on to tell me how it cant be as it will never survive a winter in Philly! LOL! I have even seen a car accident where the guy stated that he rear ended the guy in front of him because he couldnt believe that he was looking at a banana plant growing in Philly! I felt very bad, but very proud too! (not for the accident of coase!) Ill post pics of them soon as my duaghter has my digi cam, Ill try to post pics from this winter and pics of this coming summer =)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    17 years ago

Basjoos are great plants for that tropical look. Here's mine topping out at between 12 and 15 feet. They can bloom even if you cut the stems down to 3 feet. All depends on how old that particular pseudostem is at the time. If they're too old, you may cut the developing flower off with the stem. I think you get a pseudostem to bloom in about two seasons.

{{gwi:407732}}

• korryzn5a
    17 years ago

I have 2 basjoo's. I live in upper michigan and the year before lost both of them to rot. bought 2 more last summer. I decided to pot one and plant one in the garden. at the end of the summer I took the potted one in and up it in my living room and take the other one (the one in the garden) stem and all and store with my canna bulbs. Hopefully they will both do good this summer. the one in the house looks kind of sad though, I don't have a room that gets alot of sun. Just so it makes it till the end of May, I'm half way there. I'll let you know if the banana with my canna bulbs makes it ok.
    Korry

• klavier
    17 years ago

I have been drooling over these plants for a few months now. Does anybody have good sources to recommend? I would love to trade for some or purchase. Thanks, -Klavier

• watergal
    17 years ago

Logee's started selling them, many of the catalogs and larger nurseries are starting to carry them. I bought mine several years ago online at Plant Delights.

• chrisware
    15 years ago

I love my basjoo!
    I rotted my mother plant by letting my mulch get wet after three years of growing here in the mountains of WV.

I over winter the 'baby' in my classroom and it flourishes with lots of fertilizer every time I water it. I have a nice pup I'm going to cut out to replant outside this spring, but the baby is so deep in the pot. its hard to get out or I'd have it out now babying it so it will be independent once outside

• bonsaist
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My tree is still growing fine. I haven't been protecting it in winter and still makes it with no problem.

{{gwi:424399}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Trees of joy

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor