Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandond_gw

SIck Dwarf Banana

brandond
14 years ago

I have a dwarf banana plant that I have had for around 8 monthes. I potted it up in a 5 gallon pot. It looked very good and healthy until not long ago. I have been keeping it in my greenhouse. I just recently got it insulated better. I have had some very cold nights here and am afraid it was cold in the greenhouse. SOme of the leave have started turning light brown, and with time are drying out. THere is still 3 healthy looking leaves. Is this normal, or cold weather damage, or do I need to get that thing in a bigger pot. IT really filled the pot quicker than I had thought. I have a satsuma orange, and meyer lemon in there as well and they showed no damage.

Comments (5)

• sandy0225
    14 years ago

Look on the bottom side of the leaves to make sure it's not spider mites. cut off any dead leaves if they're completely dead especially if you find spider mites. If the plant isn't too wet or too dry, and it doesn't have spider mites, then put it on a heat mat to increase heat on the root zone and that should perk it up. Dwarfs seem to like more heat in the winter.

• brandond
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just wanted to update and say its looking worse. SOme of the leaves are still drying out. The two leaves are bending in half with a really dark green look. COuld it be from frost damage. Im in zone 6 and we have had some cold cold weather this December. I think at least twice my electric heater wasnt able to keep or sustain the 35 degree temp I wanted. My meyer lemond and satsuma still look just fine though. They must be more cold tolerant. HOw do you know when to upsize in pots. The dwarf banana is in a 5 gallon pot as are the lemond and orange are. Do it start to suffer then you just know to upsize pots? It has some pretty big supeficial roots from its growth. Its been in the pot since last May. I would hate to lose to plant but if I did then thats just the way it goes. Any advice would be greatly appeciated.

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Frost would not do that type of damage, It has to be some type of bug. If this was frost damage, all the leaves would be a brown color and eventualy fall off with time. Then new green leaves will come from the center if the damage was light. Frost damage wont slowly hurt it, you will see sudden changes.

You should look for small web like threads (while in color near the joint of the leaves), or lots of black dots and possibly an oily substance near them (aphids). Those 2 are what usually threaten my bananas.

Good Luck and Happy New Year!

• brandond
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I will check for aphids. I did remove all the leaves except the center. The other leaves were almost dead. I also peeled back part of the trunk like an onion. Its lifelike underneath the dead outer layering. OH and almost wondering if its just outgrown the container. Its growing roots out of the bottom of the plant were I drilled drainage holes. SO does this mean that the mail plant is most likely dead. It has had a few of the small plants growing off to the side. They are dried up as well. I did put bottom heat on it to try and revive it. What would you spray for aphids. I have some horticultural oil. I also have spectricide. It doesnt appear to have alot of life left in it.

• sandy0225
    14 years ago

35 is too cold for dwarf bananas. I think the cold is what probably got it if there's not any spider mites on it. Also if you're keeping it too dry or too wet. Too dry will also cause the leaves to bend down right at the stem. don't repot it or anything like that right now. The leaves are dark deep green, funny looking color compared to summer? that sounds like freeze damage to me.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting