Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yellowseven

Coolest Types of Bananas? What are they?

yellowseven
16 years ago

I have been growing bananas for several years now. I'm trying to find 3 - 5 varieties that are "cool" to grow. Just taking a poll here to see what types of Bananas are everyone's favorite. Then, I'll look 'em up and research for the spring. I live in Dallas but I've had real good luck with bananas. Even less hardy ones.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (16)

• pitangadiego
    16 years ago

Misi Luki, Namwah, Praying Hands, Sh3640, Fhia 18, Goldfinger, Mona Lisa, Sweetheart, etc.

• topher2006
    16 years ago

I am sold on the red/green dwarf very pretty

• sandy0225
    16 years ago

I really like the Bordelons. They have a nice shape, grow into a big clump quickly and they overwinter well in my greenhouse. They bloom readily, and I love the burgundy backsides of the leaves.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

Thousand Fingers, Praying Hands, Double Mahoi (but mine doesn't seem to pup much), Zebrina (ornamental-you will never loose this one because it makes a gazillion pups and is pretty), Esente Ventricosum-Maurelli (another pretty one and super easy to grow)

• islandbreeze
    16 years ago

I agree with sultry jasmine, Ensete are very "cool", although not technically a banana, they are in the banana family and their leaves grow long and spear shaped as opposed to a paddle-like actual banana leaf. They get nice red coloration too. I like the red stripe form. They grow super fast. Mine's been in the basement under a grow light since October, and its already grown a foot taller and added on 5 new leaves while inside. I'm hoping for 15 feet by the end of next summer, planted in the ground of course.

• tina_2
    16 years ago

Hey Tommy - How about a pic. You have peaked my interest!
    Thanks -tina_2

• hotzcatz
    16 years ago

For decorative purposes, I like the a'ea'e banana with the pretty white splatches on the leaves. It is also a nice addition for a moon garden if you like night time gardens. For eating bananas, I like the Bluefield as well as the apple bananas.

• tropicallvr
    16 years ago

Any variegated banana. Ensete ventricosum maurelli, Ensete superbum (India), Musa initerans Giantea, Musa initerans Form India, Musa siam ruby(half and half leaf), Musa cheesmanii grown in shade, Musa Saba, Musa sikkimensis red tiger, Musa sikkimensis 'Daj Giant', Musa manni, ect.

• fglavin
    16 years ago

Any Musa itinerans variety (the real itinerans!). When they send up the first pup over four feet away, you will be wishing you had made the bed a tad larger, lol.

The mother pseudostem is the large one in the middle, and the smaller pups are all from its rhizomes.

• laurabs
    16 years ago

I've only seen them at Plants Delights in the greenhouse, but I especially love the Musa 'Siam Ruby' and Musa 'Truly Tiny.'

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Delights Nursery

• tophersmith
    16 years ago

I will be selling some Siam Ruby's come late April if anyone is interested. I am thinking $13 + shipping.

• tropicallvr
    16 years ago

Hey Tophersmith, I'm interested in a all lime green or partially lime green one if you have one in april, or a 50/50 one.

• tophersmith
    16 years ago

tropicallvr,

They will arrive tomorrow here, (tissue cultures) will have to wait and see what they look like after they put on new growth.

• ohgirl
    16 years ago

tophersmith I also would be interested in a siam ruby!

• wolflover
    16 years ago

Ensete ventricosum 'Maurelii', Ensete 'Red Stripe', Ensete 'Superbum', Musa 'Saba', Musa sikkimensis 'Red Tiger', and Musa 'Siam Ruby' are some of my favorites.

• hotzcatz
    16 years ago

There was an interesting all over red-bronze colored banana plant at a local plant show two weeks ago, but I didn't see a name on the plant and the grower was too busy to ask questions of. It had a price tag of $150 on it, which seemed a bit high for my shopping that night.