Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
End of the season, ugh!

Posted by johnnieb Washington, DC zone (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 6, 13 at 10:00

Well, that's it for the year. I've had a couple of hard freezes, and a bit earlier than usual--in past years my Musa basjoo has sometimes looked good right into December, but this year it was knocked down by mid-November. This was the garden in October...

Morning view

And after the freeze...

Post-freeze

While I dream of next year, at least I have the palms, fatsias, and bamboo to brighten up the garden with a bit of green during the winter!

Here is a link that might be useful: End of the Season (blog post)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: End of the season, ugh!

That's a really nice sabal minor. Do you give it any winter protection?

o
RE: End of the season, ugh!

No, I don't give any of my plants winter protection of any kind, aside from mulch to help keep the roots from freezing. Here's the same scene after this morning's snow:

First snow

Here is a link that might be useful: First snow! (blog post)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here