Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Banana Help - What to do Dwarf Cavandish

Posted by caroltropicals Houston, tx (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 10:21

It has been cold here this winter. Cusp of freezing.
My sad bananas had my first crop. Now the plant appears sort of dead and the bananas have black spots on the green.
I had thought Dwarf Cavandish was supposed to go down to low temps - that this was a characteristic.
Well, what to do now. I know Nothing about bananas and now I have bought 2 other babies of which 1 appears to be suffering.
Will the mother come back. I had thought that you could only get bananas off the new babies. One baby is attached to the mother and is also suffering.
Someone told me to dig up and wrap, but the mother had bananas.
Thanks in advance from the novice. Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Banana Help - What to do Dwarf Cavandish

In my experience Dwarf Cavendish are very cold sensitive. I can't tell you how many bunches I have lost over the years, even to light frosts. I almost never get ripe bananas from mine. On the other hand, Orinoco and apple banana fruit dependably. I have added Ice Cream and Raja Puri but don't have much experience with them yet. Last winter, I lost my first bunch of Raja Puri to a frost - not a freeze. The Ice Cream that I planted at the same time just gave us our first bunch.

This post was edited by shuffles on Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 16:23

o

oh, thanks so much, I will write these down.
Shuffles, it seems you are in the same zone I am in.

Could you please let me know if you left the successful banana plants in the ground for the winter or are yours in pots ?
I'll try to get the others you recommended.
thanks

o

carol,

I grow them in the ground. Here, it rarely goes to 27 degrees. We usually have at least one freeze every winter, not last winter, though.

o

• Posted by lac1361 z9a Lake Charles, LA (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 13:25

Dwarf Cavendish are not cold tolerant at all. It will be very difficult to grow this particular banana, protect it during the winter and expect fruit in the summer. There are better choices for the Gulf Coast area. A previous post mentioned Orinoco, Raja Puri. I agree with these choices. Dwarf Orinoco, California Gold, which might be a sport of Dwarf Orinoco, Dwarf Brazilian are also choices. On the Gulf Coast, we should expect to see fruit 18 to 20 months after planting a pup. This means a banana needs to be able to survive at least one winter by whatever means the grower can provide. In mild winters, a grower needs to do nothing, In cold winters, the grower needs to protect the pseudostem. A banana plant needs to flower by May generally for the fruit to mature and ripen by the first frost of the fall. If the fruit is not ripe and experiences a frost, that fruit most likely is history.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here