Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chatillion

Another pic of unknown banana

chatillion
16 years ago

Here is another picture of the unknown banana. This is another tree in the same group, but with more and younger fruit. Perhaps this will give a better look at identity.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh296/selections2/Bananas-2DSCN0006.jpg

Thanks!

CC

p.s. can't figure out how to get pic to show up within the post...so the link will have to do until then.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:424470}}

Comments (8)

• chatillion
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is the first picture--and the previous post--which didn't make it to the forum...don't know how I goofed.

Hello All from SW Louisiana. I'm new to the Banana forum, but have lurked/posted on other GardenWeb forums now and then (it's been a while, though).
    Have a couple of questions. Can someone identify the banana that's shown in the picture? When to pick? Is it ready to eat?
    Many thanks!
    CC

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:424473}}

• hueytlatoani
    16 years ago

That variety looks like Orinoco (or Bluggoe). The yellow ones are definitly getting ripe-Orinoco is best when mostly yellow/partially black (For dessert eating) and earlier, if cooked as a plantain.

• chatillion
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you very much! The fruit is delicious, milder and a bit different than grocery-store bananas, and a bit sweeter. Each is 6.5 inches long and 2 inches thick. I think these plants are the type that garden centers around here sell.
    Would you happen to know what is the variety of the ones found at the grocers'?
    And...just wondering, do all banana plants produce fruit?

And, thank you again. Much appreciated!

• hueytlatoani
    16 years ago

The variety found in grocery stores in the U.S. is Gran Nain. In other parts of the world it's Williams (Australia) and in some places Dwarf Cavendish. Yes, all bananas produce fruit, but some are inedible due to poor (or bad) flavor, many seeds (Although such fruit can sometimes be strained to make drinks-Musa Balbisiana is an example of this type) or dehiscent(a dry fruit which splits open at maturity-like a pod).

• lac1361
    16 years ago

CC,

Looks like Orinoco to me also. That banana is the most common one found here in Louisiana. Where in SW Louisiana are you located.

Steve

• dbrya1
    16 years ago

The trunks on my orinoco,are 3 times bigger than those,are these dwarfs orinoco's?
    The trunk alone to where the leaves start appear is 10ft or more,and has yet to flower,thought it might this summer being it's second full summer outside.
    Now I have it in the greenhouse in a pot,with all the leaves
    cut off.
    Don

• chatillion
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hueytlatoani, thanks for identifying the grocery store banana. I'd like to find one of those.

Steve, I'm in Lake Charles. Would you happen to be in SW Louisiana also? Maybe close?

Don--3 times bigger trunks??!! Good grief, they must be trees! I don't know if these are dwarfs. The fruiting stems are coming out of trunks at about maybe 8-10 feet. They are part of a grove that's migrated over from the neighbor's back yard. I see you are in Kansas...this must mean very careful winter protection.

I've picked the ripe fruit; the remainder are still quite small and very green so I don't think they'll be ripe by Christmas. Not any change in size today from the pictures which were taken on the same day they were posted. Supposed to be 33^+/- here Sunday morning. Hope these have enough protection to make it. We'll see...

Thank you all for your responses.
    CC

• lac1361
    16 years ago

CC,

I'm in Lake Charles also.

Steve