Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice for potted Banana

Posted by ColMon 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 20, 12 at 13:43

Hi all,

I'm up in southern New Hampshire. I recently took over my father in laws indoor plants. I set up some grow lights and rearranged things in the east facing solarium. He bought a pretty big potted banana tree in the late summer and it's been inside seemingly doing well since he bought it.
I have it by the window and I water it when it dries.
It has been growing new leaves regularly, they open very beautiful and a healthy green but yellow quickly then wither down to the trunk.
As they wither completely, should I just let them go or should I cut them off?
Along with some general tips, could you tell me what could be going wrong with the leaves?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice for potted Banana

Here's another photo..

o

any idea what type it is looks like a sikki to me that would help a bit with the care of it

o

I don't know what species unfortunately...

o

Keep the soil moist if the room is warm. Also if you have moved the plant this could be the reason for the leaves turning crispy. From your second picture I can see a vent on the wall. Does this vent blow hot dry air into the room? It looks as if it does and is hitting the leaves and drying them out. Move it away from the vent and try and increase the humidity. Leave the old leaves unless they show signs of fungus or disease. These leaves just look dried out, I'd leave them alone until more growth from the plant is evident.

o

I agree with the above information. Just an FYI...It's an Ensete Maurelli if you care to know. Just stretched out and not as red from not being outdoors.

o

I have 6 bananas in pots in my house and I keep them sitting in water all the time. They don't lose leaves and they're growing like crazy. If you do this, just keep water in the saucer, don't water from above. I also use a soilless mix so that helps.

I see you have a hibiscus like mine in the pic. It looks pretty bad like mine did until I found that you can't use commercial fertilizer on them. What you do is to put a rotten banana or 2 in a watering can that you use for the hibiscus. Let it set and water only from this watering can. It smells a bit but the difference in your plant will be amazing. Mine has leaves now that are bigger than my spread hand and it's flowering like mad!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here