Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
red_sea_me

SD Cav pic

red_sea_me
17 years ago

here is a picture of my SDC in a 15g. It is too cold here to put it in the ground, so it stays in the pot and gets moved to the gh for winter protection. Cute lil thing, any idea how the fruit tastes?

-Ethan

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:424519}}

Comments (7)

• red_sea_me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

any idea how to post picture in forum direct? I'll see what I can find, thanks for any help,
    -Ethan

• bonsaist
    17 years ago

You will need to use Html code.

{{gwi:424519}}

Bass

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    17 years ago

As bonsaist said, you'll need to include the HTML code for the photo into the same window as you write your message. Here's one way to do it. You would copy the 'HTML tag' from Photobucket. Then paste it directly into this message window like this:

[a href="http://photobucket.com/"; target="_blank"][img src="http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/red_sea_me/SDCav.jpg"; border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"][/a]

...except the braces [] will actually be brackets . I couldn't use brackets because then you'd just see the photo and not the code.

Then what I like to do is strip off the Photobucket link code leaving just the pure image ULR. Here's what's left:

[img src="http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/red_sea_me/SDCav.jpg"; border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"]

You can paste as many IMG tags into a message as you like.

Hope this helps.

Dave

• red_sea_me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks Bass and Dave for the help!
    Ethan

• ohiojay
    17 years ago

Here's a pick of my so-called super dwarf cavendish...at least that's what the tag said. Much taller and more narrow than I would have thought. Mislabled?? The SDC's are the variegated plants in the pic. A Nam Wah in the back corner. The pic was taken in October and all are much bigger now. Wondering when the SDC will stop growing! They are probably 5' now. The narrowness of the stalk could be my fault though. I've had issues with spider mites and when I've sprayed something a little harsh, the leaves would unwrap and fall away from the stalk. So I've lost a lot of bulk that way.
    {{gwi:300087}}

• gulfcoast_newbie
    17 years ago

Nice pics & thanks to both of you.

ohiojay - Although I am a bit new to growing bananas, I have tried to do a great deal of research to improve my chances of growing banana plants that will yield me some edible fruit. The plants that you refer to as SDC look to me like a "Blood Banana" not a SuperDwarf cav. The dwarf Cavendish and the SDC (to a lesser degree) have the red varigation on the upper leaf when the plants are very small but do not have as much of the red/maroon tint on the bottom side of the leaf as your plants do. I also could be dead wrong. The way I came by this info was by buying a Banana plant at my local Home Depot marked as a dwarf cavendish only to find out later that it was a blood banana (Musa Zebrina?)or similar type. All of the Super Dwarf Cavendish that I now have and all of the other SDC's that I have seen are more thick & stout like Bass' above. My dwarf cav's have "some" red varigation when small but my SDCs have little to none and all have had none by the time they are the size that yours are (30+"). I reccomend that you check with other more experienced banana growers as I could very well be wrong. You could also do an image search on Musa Zebrina/blood banana. Either way, you have a couple of great looking banana plants. Respectfully,

-gulfcoast

• ohiojay
    17 years ago

Hey Gulf, I fear you are correct. I was afraid of this but had "fruiting banana denial" going on. Beautiful plants but I don't have room in the greenhouse for ornamentals. They'll have to go. Thanks for the info.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH