Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rajngai

Musa Rajapuri

rajngai
14 years ago

I live in zone 9 in the SF Bayarea. Since we had a hot November, my Musa rajapuri started fruit early November. I can see three layers of finger size bananas now and the rest is still inside the flower. Last 2 weeks have been really cold

and I covered the plant with garden cloth and the fruit and flower with a plastic garbage bag. I doubt if this flower will continue to become fruits because of the weather. Is there anything I can do to help the plant?

Comments (3)

• daveg_gardener
    14 years ago

I live in Houston, and have the same problem. Depending on how low the temperature gets, you may lose the bananas.

I have a Manzano that I've been trying for 2 years to get it to fruit before it gets zapped by the occasional frost we get. This year there were two stalks of fruit that got zapped by the snow we got in early December.

I have a plan, and you might want to think about it for next year.

I plan to fertilize it in the spring with an all-purpose fertilizer (13-13-13) to get the leaves growing.

Once that is done, I was planning on applying potassium to try to get it to fruit earlier. I thought about grinding up some bananas and peels and pouring that around the tree. If I find a commercial fertilzer with potassium, I may use that.

• jaxtropix
    14 years ago

I have a Rajapuri too, but luckily it wasn't in fruit when the cold set in. There was a great article in Florida Gardening magazine that discussed the practice of letting multiple suckers grow at varying heights so that you don't have to wait another couple years to get fruit. Let us know how the bananas did!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Rainforest Garden

• danasplants
    14 years ago

Bananas usally produce fruit in a year and half if you were given or bought a tree and is 2 yrs old proably was a sucker this means no fruit no babies I know had someone trade me a manzo apple grew full size no babaies no fruit. When they fruit when it gets cold the only thing you could have done was build a tent around it mulch it heavy and keep a big light in there at night we had a bad winter so I already know the end of this story Sorry!