Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I got a musa beccarii...

Posted by romando 9b/10a , sunset 17 (amanda.azevedo@juno.com) on
Tue, Dec 19, 06 at 22:03

any special care requirements for it? I got it for $2.00 at a local nursery! Couldn't resist, and it's about 3 feet tall.
Amanda 'romando'

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I got a musa beccarii...

My experience is this one is real finicky. I have been growing Beccarii for 4 years and have yet to see it bloom. It almost did once but the cold got it right after the flag leaf came out. They suffer when temps get below 40 and die back quickly under 40. They are the last tropical to come back in the spring and seem to never reach the proper maturity during my 9 month growing season to bloom but I'm in Zone 9a; you should have a better chance in 9b or 10a. If you like ornamentals, then Musa Uranuscopus (Coccinea) is a must. Much more hardy and the bloom is much nicer than Beccarii.

Steve

o
RE: I got a musa beccarii...

They are tender, here they start to decline once you get several nights in the low 40sF or lower. They will die back and go dormant even with out a frost. Here too, they are the last to emerge in spring. They never start blooming until Nov. so if we get some cold weather early you hardy get to see the flowers. This year has been warm so far, they haven't started declining yet and they are flowering. Below is a link of a photo of one from last year.
Eric
Orlando,FL z9b/10a

Here is a link that might be useful: Musa beccarii

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here