Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shipped in freezing temperatures

Posted by mellybee 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 22, 08 at 22:09

I know nothing about banana plants, but my parents bought me a Dwarf Lady Finger banana. Unfortunately, it came today, when the temperatures didn't get above freezing at all, and the poor little thing was out in the mailbox for probably eight or nine hours. It was only packaged in a cardboard priority mail box, with a couple of layers of paper towel and then a plastic bag wrapped tightly with masking-type tape around the roots. Is there any hope for it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shipped in freezing temperatures

well, it depends. How does it look now that it's potted up? Do the leaves on it droop and look transparent? if so , they've been frozen. If they look alright but a little droopy they'll probably be ok. Time will tell. Pot it in a well draining mix and put it in a warm sunny place. Water it in well and then don't water it again until the soil is fairly dry an inch below the surface.

o

The leaves are brownish-green and droopy. I'm sure they're frozen. But the stem isn't squishy. Will it sprout new leaves if the ones that are there are dead?

I've planted it in a pot, but I'm not sure that I've planted it deep enough. All the roots are under the soil, but there's about an inch and a half or two of...I don't know what it's called...sticking above the soil. Like an amaryllis bulb, I didn't submerge the whole thing. Is that right?

o

You just have to wait and see I had a Raja Puri that was
frozen to the side of the pot! But suprisingly in a month
it came back. If i was you i would still tell the sellers they knew not to ship that plant !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here