Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananafan

Flag leaves in December (pix attached)

bananafan
16 years ago

My Praying hands has sent out its flag leaf and bloom. This mommy plant is so tall that I need a 8ft laddar to climb up and take a picture of it. In the picture attached here, it's hard to see the bloom yet, but it is there right in the middle if you look closely.

{{gwi:425092}}

I was also unexpectantly surprised to see my little Goldfingers sending out its flag leaf and bloom in December! The plant that is blooming is actually the daughter plant while mommy still has nothing yet.

The one on the left is the daughter plant

{{gwi:425095}}

Close up of the bloom

{{gwi:425097}}

I was expecting all these plants to bloom this summer, instead they chose this season. So one more thing I learn about bananas blooms--they do their thing any time they like it and however manner they like it (i.e. daughter first). I certainly hope their blooms will do well in this weather which is so far so good.

Comments (2)

• GAAlan
    16 years ago

That is interesting to have the younger plant bloom ahead of an older one. As for their timing, my basjoos do the same, which is, whenever they want! Here is a shot of one from December 1 that continues to flower even after numerous freezes!

{{gwi:425099}}

• bananafan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Glad your basjoo survived after numerous freezes. It's amazing the bloom look so healthy and beautiful even though the leaves have all dried up. Thanks for sharing the picture.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022