Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
worms4tracy

What are the best native bees for a rose garden in Berkeley, CA?

Worms4Tracy
12 years ago

Hello everyone,

I'm a regular over at the vermi-composting forum, but I'm brand new to beekeeping. I have been wanting to keep bees for several years, especially as I am concerned about the declining numbers of bees worldwide. I'd like to start keeping bees, but really want to make sure I'm getting the right kind. I am aware of a couple of studies that talk about bees native to different areas, and at the same time our house is home to hundreds (literally) of rose bushes, as well as a vegetable garden. Many/most of the roses are open or single-petal so they would be accessible to bees. I'll admit the idea of rose-flavored honey is attractive to me. We're in the San Francisco Bay Area, so our winters are comparably mild.

Before I get started, I'd like to explore further the idea that a native species could fare better than an introduced species. Can you speak to this? Can you recommend a species that will do well in this environment? Have you had any experience with raising native bees over non-native bees? I'm eager to learn so that the bees I keep will be able to thrive.

Thank you in advance for any experience, information and wisdom you can share.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
DB Landscape Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Beautiful & Functional Landscape Designs in Lynchburg