Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattisgarden

flavoring honey

pattimelt
19 years ago

Is this a big no-no as it takes away from the 'naturalness' of honey?

I have seen like huckleberry syrup added to honey and wondered if anyone had recipes or ideas for different ones. I think they might sell at the farmers market.

Thanks, Patti

Comments (6)

• Stevepamplin
    19 years ago

I think most beekeepers that produce honey to sell have a hard time with flavoring honey, I personally don't but I think if the honey is blended, cut or flavored it should be noted on the label. I have heard of some comercial producers cutting the honey with karo? I'm not sure but if it is it should be labeled blended as well as its point of origin. I am getting into teaching childrens classes and one of the things that I use is the flavored honey sticks but before I give them out (usually at the end of the class) I pass around samples of the real stuff so they can get a chance to taste natural honey, I usually have some light, amber and buckweat samples. I personally like to squeeze out lemons, quarter the rhines and pack them in a jar and cover with honey, when the lemon rhines drop they are ready to pluck out and drop in a hot cup of tea. I cover pecans with honey and sell them in a jar. There are a bazillion ways to enhance honey and I could go on and on. Experiment and enjoy.

• ccrb1
    19 years ago

Indeed, and honey is flavored commonly, in it's creamed form. I sell more flavored creamed honey than natural. I've been using candy flavorings, but am moving toward using dried fruit powder for the flavorings.

• Konrad___far_north
    19 years ago

I have brought some honey over from Switzerland and it was sooo....reach with flavor, that
    you love it without adding anything.

I didn't know, that honey over here was flavored but I must agree, that this honey here [most] has very little flavor, I guess from a one sided source, can really benefit naturally enhanced flavor!

Konrad

• askewgardens
    19 years ago

I have flavored my honey by gently heating it and adding candy flavoring, like Lorraines. However, I don't sell it this way I give it as gifts. You need to check your state regs. Unless you are liscensed for commercial honey production in many states you are not allowed to heat your honey above a certain degree, it must be considered Raw, and you must mark the bottle with ingredients if it's not pure honey. Which opens up a whole 'nother bag of worms, since you'd also have to do nutrition labeling as well.

• pennsylvania_pete
    19 years ago

Honey that has any additives is federally mandated by the Pure Food Act to be labeled as such. It is not a 'should', it is against the law to add anything to honey and not put that ingredient on the label. This is to prevent someone adding cheap sweetener to honey and passing it off as the Real McCoy. Also, since the US gov't (until very recently) bought honey under the price support system (it was considered a strategic material), this was to prevent someone from having one hive and selling the gov't several drums (30lb cans and 55 gal. drums were the only the containers they bought.)

Konrad, there are many naturally flavored honies on the market. The best source is the local beekeeper. If none is around, it can also be bought at many gift shops, just check the label for its origin. In Canada, creamed honey is probably as big a seller as any other type. Those Canajuns know good stuff when they taste it. I like it just before it hardens into a solid lump, and even after that a pocket knife is all you need.

• ccrb1
    19 years ago

Funny thing about Canadian honey. Being a Canadian now living in the USA. BillyBee, the major Canadian brand was found to be selling honey from Argentina with nitrofurans in it. Loblaws got caught selling honey from China with Chloramphenicol in it.

I tasted some BillyBee honey and it was very non-descript. (I've only tasted store honey once before since starting beekeeping and it was Stollers -- nice but again, non descript.)

Checking the ingredients on BillyBee honey shows in this order: Argentina, Canada honey.

Now, I agree, honey from a Canadian beekeeper (and from an American) is likely to be the best honey you can get. Honey from Canadian packagers... not so.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone