Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beekeeping and pesticides

Posted by CAPSfan none (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 1, 13 at 10:06

I live in a rural area, and in the middle of corn, cotton and bean fields. I was going to start to hives this year with nucs but not sure how the pesticides the farmers use on the crops would effect the bees. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beekeeping and pesticides

My guess is that any pesticides will affect the bees. If you can determine when spraying is being done, you might be able to protect your hive by keeping them in the hives during that period. Keep water close to the hive and if there are lots of polin carrying plants nearer to the hives than the sprayed fields, you will lose less bees. Good advice from a professional beekeeper could be helpful. I am an amateur.

o

Can local authorities will help in this regard. If you register with bee families, farmers will have to inform you when treated cultures. In this way you can prevent poisoning them with pesticides. Maybe he can lead them to not folosasca pesticides. How I do in my country. Now grown organic products and are very pleased. And I'm happy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mierea

o

You should be fine, allot of commercial bee keepers have their hives on farm sites.

Check with your local bee club and see what's done with these crops.
I think most of these crops you mentioned are sprayed when young for herbicides and it will be month before they're flowering.

It would be also good to get to know your neighbors to find out what they're spying,..if need be, you can lock them in early morning with window screen, on a hot day I would shade them with sheet of plywood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here