Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
subk3

"How Your Bee-Friendly Garden May Actually Be Killing Bees"

subk3
9 years ago

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/garden-center-neonicotinoids/

Last spring I got my first hive--actually I have a deal with a beekeeper that I would host it and pay the cost and she would do the hard stuff and we'd split the honey. She's the brains, I'm just going along for the ride.

I am also a gardener. This winter while I've been plotting and planning new and old gardens I've been adding elements that I thought would make them bee friendly. (Want to keep the little kiddos happy!) I've run across the article referenced in my post title that discusses problems with annuals bought at big box stores that in some way are infected with neonicotinoid--and insecticide very harmful to bees.

The article is way over my pay grade and I was hoping someone here could read it and give me the lowdown and what practical steps (if any) I should be taking.

Most of the annual/herb/veggies that I will be planting I will grow myself from seeds, but I do regularly augment with big box annuals or plants from my local co-op or hardware stores.

How concerned should I be, and should I be concerned about the seeds I plant myself?

Comments (5)

• drmbear Cherry
    9 years ago

While there could potentially be some concern from plants you grow from seed (treated seed, etc.), it is unlikely to be any issues with the plants you grow yourself since you decide how you deal with pests and disease on those plants. Make sure you are using no chemicals that harm bees, and you have no issues with those plants.

On the other hand, you have absolutely no control over the chemicals used to treat plants you buy from most shops and big box stores. Their objectives are likely far different than yours. This article spells out a key problem, pointing out that some of the favorite and most effective pesticides/fungicides are completely unacceptable for the health and well-being of bees. We've all seen and heard about bee declines, and while not all is completely understood, everything seems to be pointing to many of the recent chemicals, determined to be far safer for humans (so everyone thinks "Great!"), namely these Neonicotinoids, that are just not all they are cracked up to be. I've actually decided to completely avoid them at all cost in my own home garden. The alternative, for plants that you cannot start yourself, is to select nurseries and growers that also avoid using these harmful chemicals. It will really require a concerted effort to eliminate the use of these chemicals - our lives and the quality of them will be far less if we are unable to stop the destruction of bees.

• mittenstate
    9 years ago

Please see research done by Dr. Potter, University of Kentucky. Professional pesticide applicators are being brought up to speed on the neonic issue, the general public, not so much. The pesticide label has clearly stated if it is toxic to bees, but people do not read the label. There should be more effort made by all dealers who sell pesticide products to make sure there is an awareness of pesticide use responsibility. Colony Collapse appears to be caused by multiple factors.

• ravenh2001
    9 years ago

I am almost 60 and I still remember what great gram said to me. "the Post Office is not here to dig out the mail box just to put the letters in." You will dig the box out for gramps letter to get here. If you want to use pesticides in your garden , do your own homework. in the last 5 years I have lost 5 of 9 hives. I don't know if I sprayed when the wind was wrong, if I didnt feed at the right times, if I didn't cleen old hives enough , It is always easyer to blame someone else.

• ravenh2001
    9 years ago

Maple sap is running, brown grass is in the high field points, it reached 55 f from 22 last night, bees are due next week. Lol are we going to blame pesticides for a poor year? bees have not overwintered this year, but they forgot to take 50 lbs of honey with them. Just shake them and there were bees just not clustered. no ants , no mites, Maybe trying to get a Floridian to like Maine. KonradYou are 1 and 1/2 zones north. Help!!!!!.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Found this link posted on the Florida Gardening Forum.
    http://www.care2.com/causes/lowes-will-stop-selling-bee-killing-pesticides.html

I plant gardens to attract butterflies and bees. I raise Monarch Catterpillers to maturity and release them. Beside planting Milkweed and other host plants for the butterflies, I also plant for bees. Since moving to Florida 2 years ago and making my garden beds, I have seen Bumble bees, but not one honey bee.

I heard about neonicotinoids last year and noticed labels on certain plants in Home Depot. Hard to notice, but I did. I refused to buy the plants and let the management know why. Their plants were treated with the neonicotinoids. But, there were small labels stating so on the plants.

I now purchase my host plants from a native nursery and grow my nectar plants from seed. It is not hard, saves money and gives safe reward. I am hoping to see honey bees this year although the use of insecticides in Florida is beyond belief. Everyone sprays everything to kill everything. People don't seem to care.

Grow from seed, avoid Home Depot or at least complain to the management. At least Lowes is planning to change, but who knows what they will decide to accept. It is so much safer growing your own from seed or cuttings.

Jane

Jane

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting