Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbnlacemaker

hive site and lawn mowers

bbnlacemaker
13 years ago

I have a question for all you backyard beekeepers. How close to the hive do you mow when cutting your grass? I live in a rural area and have a site picked out that faces south, gets little or no foot traffic or activity (the kids don't really play in that area of the 2 acre backyard) is adjacent to water and plenty of pollen/nectar sources. The only problem I see is the lawn tractor. Though we will not be mowing directly under and around the hive, how close is too close? I can't imagine that the bees will like the sound, blast of air, and vibration that accompanies a lawn tractor or power mower. But I don't want a whole section of the lawn uncut. We already have enough issues with ticks without providing them with additional habitat! How do your bees react when you cut the grass in their vicinity and how close do you get to their hive?

An additional wrinkle is that the one who cuts the grass is my 14 year old son who is already very unhappy I plan to get bees. I want him to discover that beekeeping is a positive (or at least a neutral) thing. I DON'T want him to get stung every time he cuts the grass and end up hating all bees!!

If I push the hive farther back toward the edge of the yard against the fence row, it will be in full shade under the trees, which probably won't work our well in this climate. Any ideas?

Comments (8)

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

Shade is not a good idea, easy to get mold build up inside.

I cut right up to the hive, my bees are docile,.....just got fast LOL.
    One thing really works good when cutting at twilight, when bees are in
    and not flying,.... too dark.

Konrad

• tonybeeguy
    13 years ago

I mow right up to the electric fence in my backyard and have trimmed between and behind hives with a weedwacker with no problems. Also one of my apiaries is on a farm and they cut hay within a few feet of the electric fence and have never had any problems. A lot depends on the temperment of you bees

• scot
    13 years ago

i have a garden hive on the edge of the back yard, it was my first hive and i wanted it where i could watch and such. anyway, i have sprayed roundup around the base just to keep weeds down and put down wood chips to look better. that said i mow within 3-4 feet of the hive with no problems at all, i do blow the clippings away from the hive for the first few passes. the ladies in this hive are quite mellow and asside from them bumbping into you if you are in the flight path they are not a problem at all. i do have another hive that i think miss queenie will get squished this year as her progeny are fairly poor tempered, i dont mow around that hive and as long as i am not right in front they dont bother me much, but show up in a dark shirt and approach from the front and the remind you who lives there

• pasic2007
    13 years ago

Above all know that not all breeds of bees are aggressive. I had two families aggressive and now they've changed the queen and I have two very peaceful family. In general do not like to sit in front of bee entrance. Try to defend and so bite. But your son, teach him to wear a mask when cutting grass when it is near them. Otherwise it is inevitable to be stung.
    I just love bees and miere poliflora de vanzare

• lisascenic Urban Gardener, Oakland CA
    13 years ago

You could also lay some paving stones around and under the hive. This would have the added advantage of keeping tall grass off of the hive stand, and potentially reducing ant-highways.

• ShadowMystic
    13 years ago

I lay garden cloth down extending four feet beyond the hive. This has two purposes: first it prevents grass and weed from growing around the hives, second it makes it easier to monitor the health of the hive - as the bees clean their hive they drop the debris onto the cloth where it is easy to see.

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

Old carpet can last for a long time.

• bbnlacemaker
    Original Author
    13 years ago

These are all great ideas, thank you very much! I was also thinking yesterday of a low ground cover like creeping myrtle that would stay green but never need to be cut.
    I think I will start with some type of paver or flagstone directly under the hive so the stand doesn't sink in the mud when the snow starts to melt (if it ever does!!!) then maybe a low ground covering plant extending in front. That way the lawn tractor can give wide berth to the whole hive area. I have ordered Russian bees which are supposed to be gentle, but I was assuming that even the gentlest bees may feel threatened by the noise and vibration of a big mower. I will definately tell my son to wait till twilight as well. Good ideas!!