Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Native bees and woodpeckers.

Posted by tucsontropicaldude Sunset Z12, Tuc (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 28, 07 at 10:08

I built several nestings sites for the native bees in our area by drilling different size holes in 4"x4" blocks. I had several hundred holes drilled in the blocks I placed around the yard and at the end of summer I was surprised to see that almost all of the holes had been filled. Then about midwinter I noticed that the filled holes were no longer filled and I knew it was to early for the bees to start hatching. One weekend when I was in the backyard I found out what was going on. Looks like I built a dinner stand for the local woodpecker. It was going from hole to hole pulling out the bee larva. Seems the only way I could keep the bees safe was to wrap chicken wire around the blocks. Seems to be working so far.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Native bees and woodpeckers.

Hm...too bad that you to have to loose some!
I was reading ones,.. sometimes those blocks are taken down and stored somewhere for a while after they are filled.
Konrad

o

My latest education concerning bees and birds was last summer, when I began to notice a few of the larger species of birds hovering around the bee hives. They were sitting on the fence waiting for a bee to return to the hive with pollen or nectar, and then swoop down to catch dinner.

I didn't think too much about it, except that one over-zealous guard topk exception when the alarm sounded, and it chased not only the blue jay but me all of the way to the back door. I managed to get inside - and left the jay to fend for itself. After all, I figured it was his fault, not mine and so I left him sitting on the railing outside the kitchen door.

The only thing - is that for several weeks, every time I happened to be near the hive, I was attacked. Soooo - I finally took a can of Raid, and did what any red-blooded, property protector would do - I zapped it.

Just my 2 c's.

Bejay

o

I read that the nesting bees lay the female eggs first, in the back of the tube, and when predators raid the tubes, they are more likely to eat the males in front, leaving more females to survive and reproduce. Someone told me that the woodpecker beak can't get to the end of longer holes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here