Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bees at My Camellias

Posted by mimidi z8Ala (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 14, 05 at 11:10

I don't raise bees and know very little about them. A little bit ago I was walking around my yards and found worlds of bees feeding at two of my camellia bushes. My first thought was that it is too early for bees but there they are. Other that the fact that they are feeding and I might have a hive near by could it mean that winter is over for us here in southeast Alabama? Sorry to be a dumbie but seeing them at this time of year was just amazing to me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bees at My Camellias

Aware.

Awareness of nature and the changing of the seasons - not on a human timescale according to a fixed calendar, but on nature's own timescale - is perhaps the most profound and probably has been the most enjoyable thing I've been taught by the bees. They are, after all, great teachers (...IF you only have the capacity to learn from them...to be open...to be recepive to what they're trying to tell you).

Go to your Camelias, stand very close to them, observe the bees up close - don't worry, the bees will not harm you. They are much too busy to pay attention to a mere human observer - they are busy raising a very large family (!) - they have many hungry mouths to feed!

You can know this is true by being aware. Look closely and see very small but bright yellow specks on the hind legs of the bees "working" your Camellias. Perhaps not on all the bees you see, but on several. This is pollen from your Camellias - gathered from the stigma - to feed the young the queen has already laid (...even this early in the "Spring") - we're on nature's calendar not a human one.

Winter may not be completely over in zone 8 Alabama but its definitely beginning to loose the race.

P.S. - their beehive "home" will not be too far away from you!
perhaps a few yards away....perhaps a mile or two... when they leave your flowers, look for the direction in which they depart

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here