Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bcliver

Interested in beekeeping

bcliver
19 years ago

Hi,

I'm interested in becoming a beekeeper as a hobby. It would help my garden and give me a little honey. My grandfather kept bees, but quit when I was very young. Should I attend a seminar or class before starting? Anyone know of associations in Virginia that can help beginners?

Thanks

Comments (7)

• treebeard
    19 years ago

Try the link below. There's a link from the Virginia Beekeepers to local clubs around the state.

And, Yes...taking a course about beekeeping can definitely help you get started.

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Beekeepers

• Joe_Waggle
    19 years ago

Here's a list of associations.

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Beekeeping Associations

• bcliver
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you!

• beefiend
    19 years ago

I would strongly recommend that you hook up with your local beekeepers' association. They can tell you what you'll need to do to get started in your area, and just as importantly, what to avoid. You might want to go to a club meeting and try to arrange one or more visits to a beekeeper in your area. That way you can get a better idea about what it's like, without spending money on equipment. Most states have some kind of workshop that has a series of programs for people with different skill levels and interests. There's also alot of good information available online. If you just type "beekeeping" into a search engine, you'll get all kinds of sites to explore.

• pcchoo1
    19 years ago

Hi all

I have 40 hives, usually I feed them with sucrose (invert sugar). But I had a problem when customer visit my apiary found out there are sucrose inside the hive, so most of customer doesnÂt like it

Q1. Is there any syrup color & taste same as honey? So that when I use it for bee feeding, my customer will not see any difference as compare to honey
    Q2. I heard form my friend says high fructose corn syrup (HFCS-55) is cheaper compare to invert sugar, and the composition is similar to honey. Is there any way to make HFCS-55 color and taste as same as honey?

Thanks for your response

• lonesomemiller
    17 years ago

You can easily invert your own sugar...
    By the way, bees eat the sugar usually 2:1 ratio (sugar to water)... and make honey or wax...

I don't see why customers would be concerned... you don't feed during a honey flow I hope...

To invert the sugar at home use same ratio... but you must heat water to boilng then add sugar and stir till all granuals dissappear.... let mixture set still for 1 minute or less and add 4 or 5 table spoons of lemon concentrate and do NOT stir... return to heat and bring to a very slow boil for 5 minutes... whole process take may 35 minutes....

I have 4 hives for last four years... I learned the inversion from wine making...

• yarnoverboard
    17 years ago

I am in VA too. If you are anywhere in Northern Virgina, (Stafford, Culpeper, Page, Falls Chirch area, Loudon (I think) that are starting beginning beekeeper couses that last about 8 weeks. They are pretty comprehensive classes and cover soup to nuts at a very reasonable cost. Good luck!

Sponsored