Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leafcutter Bees

Posted by stevin 6b Ma. (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 12:36

Been doing lots of reading on how to build a home for these bees, but majority of the write-ups refer to Mason Bees. The preferred hole size for the Mason Bees is 5/16". Is it the same for the Leafcutter? I've read that the hole should be smaller but a size was never mentioned.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leafcutter Bees

As far as I remember 5/16 also, but I would make some with 3/8,..just to see what they prefer,.. have seen natural holes in old trees, ...I don't think size is too critical.

This one is doing spring cleaning, looks like about 3/8" hole or larger.
 photo IMG_0086_1_2_1.jpg

photo IMG_0078_1_5_1.jpg

photo IMG_0071_1_2_1.jpg

o

Leafcutter bees, also called alfalfa bees, nest in 1/4-inch diameter tubes but will use the same size holes as will masons.

see this
http://snohomish.wsu.edu/garden/masonbees/inse006.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: masons & alfalfa bees

o

They seem to prefer a 1/4 inch hole, that is the approximate size of commercial nesting boards used in alfalfa seed production. Leafcutters require approximately 21 days of 80 degrees or better to hatch in the spring, which brings them out in mid to late June after fruit trees have bloomed and they really aren't active until the air temperature gets above 70 degrees--making them a summer bee.

o

great info! 1/4" - 5/16" holes should keep them happy.
is there a rule of thumb as to how far apart these holes should be? with the straws they are no further than an 1/8" apart and with the blocks of wood they appear to be 3/4"-1" apart. does it really matter?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here