Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bees in compost

Posted by gumbee NY (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 7, 10 at 13:36

i started a compost bin in my yard last year filled mostly with leaves. upon trying to turn the leaves i found a swarm of some type of honey bees. i stopped messing with them and enjoyed having them in my garden all summer. my question is will they be back next summer. i want the bees more than the compost but i also want the compost. will they move on some day or will they keep coming back to the compost bin if i don't disturb them. thankyou

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bees in compost

Pictures?

o
RE: bees in compost=doubting tomasniks

Gee, I thought I saw a good picture in the written description. Please and thank you for the vision of bees lazing in the compost on a sunny afternoon. latersquared

o

I can't see it myself honey bees in a compost pile....do yo?

o

The bees were almost for sure a species of Bombus, bumble bees. They love this environment if the composting, decay isn't getting too hot. Infact, they prefer it cool.
If it wasn't Bombus, and not a bee, then look at a species of ground-nesting Vespids such as Vespula vulgaris, a species of Yellow Jackets.
Either way, they will not return next year but if another queen chooses that spot, then that's just a fluke, or luck.

o

I had the same situation. I had a composte pile with fig pots on the top of the pile (because of space limitation) and pots by its side. The bees were coming in and going out through one side of the pile in one location almost like clock work, one or two every two or three seconds.
I had problem getting to a ripe fig because as soon as they notice my presence (somehow) many will come out and buzz around me to make me leave.
Iy is -30C now and I am not sure if they will be there next summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here