Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter loss

Posted by beeguy z4 WI (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 27, 05 at 15:06

How can a beekeeper analyze the cause of winter loss? Would a microscopic inspection of dead bees reveal presence of mites?

To the best of my knowledge, Wisconsin does not have a bee inspector service.

Thanks
ej

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter loss

• Posted by ccrb1 z5 IND (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 27, 05 at 18:07

I believe the usda in beltsville md will analysis your dead bees for tracheal mites at no charge.

o

BeeGuy:
Are you talking about the entire hive being dead or just dead bees in front of the hive. You know of course that a large number of bees die protecting the queen and keeping the temp in the hive at the proper level. I check mine real regular and clean the dead bees away form the front on the hive but then when I checked it again there are always more dead bees. On one of ouy recent warm speel 70+ degrees I opened the hive and there were still plenty of bees there. This may not be your answer but you are on the right forum to get the right answer.
Hope this helps.
Barnabus

o

I lost 3 of 4 colonies. There was ample honey available and no evidence of starvation.

Thanks for the tip on USDA lab in MD.

ej

o

wrap your dead bees in paper, not plastic, and send to the lab. They can confirm or deny some causes, such as tracheal mites. Knowing the cause is always a good thing, and a heckuvalot better than guessing.

o

May I butt in? I'm not a beekeeper but mail your bees in a small box or mark the envelope "HAND CANCEL" so the Post Office won't send it thru their wringer machine. The insect people who came and lectured to our Master Gardener class said they are frustrated by the smooshed bugs they are asked to look at.

o

Actually, no. don't send bees through the post office at all. Send them UPS. Mail destined for the USDA gets rerouted and opened elsewhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here