Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
used beekeeping supplies

Posted by pembroke central KY (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 18, 06 at 16:19

Does anyone deal in good lightly USED beekeeping supplies? I've seen a few on ebay but would like to be able to see what I'm geeting into when buying used. Any thoughts will appreciated. Thanks. Pembroke

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: used beekeeping supplies

Other than Morris Weaver in Texas (http://www.morrisweaver.com/) I don't know of anyone who really deals in used beekeeping supplies except for some of the big stuff (large extractors, etc.) Your best bet may be to contact some of the local beekeeping associations and see if they know anyone that is downsizing or getting out of the business. I know in the local association here there are frequently ads in the newsletter for used equipment.

-Tim

Here is a link that might be useful: Kentucky Beekeeping Associations

o

Pembroke,
I may have some bee equipment to sell you. I've kind of moved back to Louisville but am keeping one hive on my property in Elizabethtown. I have lots of frames already made and may have some acceptable boxes.
Your handle sounds familiar. I wonder if we've "met" somewhere else?
If you're interested please e-mail me: fletchoneday@hotmail.com

Regards,
Denise

o

The folks in the bee business (exterminators in the know) can usually advise what's available in your area. I looked in the yellow pages to find one that captured my swarm and helped me put them in a box - although had my own empties.

They tell me that bees usually like the old, used hives better than nice newly painted, etc. hives. Of course, they probably should be cleaned thoroughly before use. I usually use a propane torch to clean off the frames and scorch the inside of the boxes before reintroducing to the bees, however.

What about E-bay?

Just my 2 c's.

Bejay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here