Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pleaase help? bee bee trees

Posted by jakeman z6 pa (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 24, 05 at 19:30

has anyone heard of these and what is the botanical name? please e-masil me at narke004@msn.com please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pleaase help? bee bee trees

Any various trees such as a Basswood which have nectar-rich flowers attractive to bees.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bee Tree

o

I believe this is what you are looking for....Evodia danielii. Look at the last bit of information at the very bottom of the right hand column on the link below.

There must be male and female trees, because we have had some that flower, but do not set seed. Maybe someone else can answer that for you. I do know that the bees really work the one that does set seed for us.

Here is a link that might be useful: Korean Evodia

o

jakeman,
I think you've already got your answers from the previous two postings. A quick 'Google' search makes the connection between Millie's Korean Evodia and the actual term "bee bee tree" as does the more generic use of the term 'bee tree' when referring to trees like the Basswood trees.

There is one point of confusion that really "threw me" for the longest time. While travelling in Europe (Russia), I had the occassion to be offered a light yellowish creamed honey with an unusual (but tasty) flavor. I was told it was honey from the lime tree. Well, I knew lime, right? The green citrus fruit that required a climate much more tropical than this close to the artic circle! My mind was suffering a real "disconnect" here...how is this honey from a lime tree? Must simply be a translation problem...

But this is typical of the problems you run into when the common names of plants are used. A little internet searching upon my return home and before you know it, the discovery was made: Lime tree = Linden tree = Basswood tree.
And the Winter Linden tree (Tilia platyphyllos) is what had provided that wonderful tasting Lime honey! And this honey tasted different from the liquid (extracted) honey from the American Basswood (Tilia americana) so common in your part of the country.

o

jakeman, I just posted a question about the fertility of the bee bee tree (Korean Evodia) and was told that the name has been changed to Euodia (note! u not v )and Tetradium daniellii. I looked it up as Tetradium daniellii and got lots of hits.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here