Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honey Bee Impact on Home Gardens

Posted by paloaltomark 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 15, 10 at 21:08

Hi All:

It's generally well known that honey bees benefit home gardeners, but I'm looking for a source that quantifies this benefit in some way. I've seen statistics like 30% of the US food supply can be attributed to honey bee activity, but nothing that provides data for home gardens.

Does anyone know of a source for this? I'm looking for a factoid like "you can expect about 20% more squash if you have a hive on your property" etc

Thanks

-Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honey Bee Impact on Home Gardens

Mark, Thats a tough one. There are many insects that provide pollination for our home gardens. I think the 30% reference is because of migratory beekeepers providing pollination for hundreds of acres of single crop production. In other words the California almond production would not be possible on a large scale without bringing in bees. As far as my home garden, I always see honeybees in the blooms along with other native bees. I have 5 hives in my backyard, but I would assume on a small scale, with or without the honeybees, my garden would do well. I think as the scale of your food production increases, the honey bees play a more important role in supplementing the native pollinators.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here