Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Attracting a colony

Posted by dghays Z9B FL Brevard (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 22, 06 at 21:42

I get a moderate amount of bees, but wouldn't mind a colony if it didn't get too far out of control. Would a bee box get used potentially? Is there any other thing I can make as a potential bee house for ANY bee species in Florida? Apparently most kinds of bumble bees just make holes in the dirt as a house?

Thanks for any help,

Gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Attracting a colony

Gary,
Your personal motivation for having bees around your house is unclear to me. Normally people don't want bees too close to their home. Without a better understanding as to why you are trying to attract bees it's difficult to answer your questions. For your question #1): maybe but it's doubtful; for question #2): if you mean for the one "thing" to handle multiple bee species, then the answer is no; for question #3): for Bombus, it's common.

o

• Posted by dghays Z9B FL Brevard (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 25, 06 at 6:57

I do have fruit trees on 1.5 acres, but mostly to provide habitat for another species affected by loss of habitat.

o

• Posted by dghays Z9B FL Brevard (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 10, 06 at 6:13

Well I guess I found my own answer, while watching 'Victory Garden' a lady discussed attracting wildlife to gardens, and bees were mentioned. Bought her book, 'A blessing of toads', about such things.

o

Here's a nice article about creating a "bee garden"

Here is a link that might be useful: Bee Garden

o

• Posted by dghays Z10A FL Brevard (My Page) on
    Sat, May 19, 07 at 10:16

Found out more info about using an upside pot to try to hold some. Anyone do this?

o

Wildflowers native to your area are best especially for native bees, you can often find mixes in hardware stores. I hate to recommend a non-native but as I work in plant nurseries and if I WAS going to recommend one that honey bees seem to adore it would be lavender (sp. Lavendula). Maybe this is because the native home for both (lavender and honey bee) is the same general landmass. Perhaps they evolved together.

The same goes for rosemary and honeysuckles. Honeybees love 'em. So I guess a good way to attract honeybees is to find aromatic plants that are also native to the same European/Mediterranean region that honeybees come from (though those places are also suffering CCD).

o

• Posted by dghays Z10A FL Brevard (My Page) on
    Sun, May 20, 07 at 8:19

I'm mostly wanting to find what to house them in on my property. Something with little to no interaction by me if possible. Has anyone done this?

o

In most states it is against the law to maintain bees in anything that does not have moveable combs to facilitate inspections. I'm pretty sure this is true in Florida. Why not just get a standard hive body and frames?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here