Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hornfaced Mason Bee, Mason Bees in General

Posted by blueboy1977 TX9A/B (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 23:24

I just ordered some Hornfaced Mason Bees today and Im wondering if any one in the Houston Tx area/Gulf Coast Counties has tried to raise them? For that matter, mason bees in general? Are there native Mason Bees on the Gulf Coast states????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hornfaced Mason Bee, Mason Bees in General

I heard from a guy in Alabama that says he has mason bees. I have them populating my boxes without purchase in northern VA. Mason bee habitat is wooded areas of North America and around homes. Mason Bees are native to almost the entire continental USA and Southern Canada. There are about 140 species of solitary bees in North America. All of these species polinate. One way to determine what you have naturally living in your area is to build a mason bee box and see what inhabits it. I suggest that you drill some 5/16" holes and some smaller ones. The mason bees will select the 5/16" holes, while smaller species will select the smaller holes.

o

I did a little research after I posted. Here is what I found, "Bringing Mason bees from a different climatic region can present problems in two ways. Firstly, Blue Orchard Mason bees from lower latitudes (e.g. south Texas, which fly February to March) develop more slowly as they have a longer pre-pupal stages and require temperatures of at least 75 degrees to develop. If you transplant them to a cooler area some bees will fail to reach maturity. If you move Orchard Mason bees from higher latitudes (e.g. southern Canada, which fly April to May) to a warmer region they will mature before ambient temperatures start to decline and will have to use up body fat reserves until temperatures drop enough so they can enter hibernation. They will now be in a depleted state and may starve over winter or emerge in a weakened condition come spring."

o

Thanks for the response. I ordered 20 horn faced mason bees Mon with a small wooden house for them. I guess I will take my chances with them and if nothing else hopefully some locals will take up residence in the house. When I ordered them from Crown Bees he said they should do fine in my area. Only time will tell. Thanks again for the response.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here