Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
medicianal properties of honeycomb?

Posted by thisbud4u San Diego (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 7, 07 at 2:25

Recently, I started coming down with a cold, which I was dreading because I always get deathly ill from colds--turns into bronchitis--nasty. Anyway, I had brought a few frames of honey from the farm into my house, and I started cutting out cubes of honeycomb everyday and eating a little. To my surprise, I started getting better within a few days. I've heard rumors about the medicinal properties of honey (at least the fresh stuff on the comb, unheated and unfiltered), but I've never seen any research on it. We all know that bacteria and fungi can't live in honey, which is remarkable because it's mostly sugar, which these microorganisms thrive on, but apparently viruses can't live in honey either. If anybody has any more info on the medicianal properties of honeycomb, or any personal annecdotes, I'd love to hear more on the subject.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: medicianal properties of honeycomb?

That is interesting. It is pure speculation on my part - however, because I do quite a bit of jelly/jam making, the use of sugar or honey combined with fruit makes for a final product that seems to have a lot of "keepability" for long time storage to it.

The biggest component, however, is the acid in the fruit itself. However, sugar/honey is considered by the experts to contribute to this also.

I will offer one thought though -

Because I also have an asthmatic/bronchitis/allergy condition (mild), I have found that working around weeds, blossoms, manures, dusts, can aggravate this condition. It is especially aggravating when I run my shredder, grinding up plant debris from my yard, to make compost. I have found that I can avoid exacerbation of my bronchial condition by avoiding not only things I'm allergic to, but also to wear a "nonrebreather" mask whenever I am around dusts such as when shredding.

Many of us, who live in and near the ocean are subjected to the dampness in our homes, etc., that contribute to breathing problems.

Sorry - I know this is a bit OT, but I just thought I'd pass it along FWIW.

Just my 2 c's.

Bejay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here