Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suefromuk

Totally in need of help

suefromuk
19 years ago

A while back at the Convention for Master Gardeners in MD, I attended a class on building little homes for a certain kind of tiny bee, BUT I now forget which one. They were to be beneficial to the garden...eating perhaps the bad insects,(are they carniverous?) or maybe just helping things along with lots of pollinating. I was given a little house, as an example of what to copy, it was about 2" deep by about 3.5" long and 2" wide...and there was a checker board of tiny little holes across it's front...(one would have to use one of the very smallest of one's drill bits), and a sweet little slanted roof.. The whole thing was made of cedar.

Well a friend built 10 for me out of a piece of cedar that I had purchased,and the questions now are. For which bee have I built? Where should I hang these 10 cosy little charmers? Will the fact that the 10 new bee homes are not as wide as the original one (availability of the right size of piece of cedar, the one I bought cost $13, if I'd duplicated the size of the example house, the piece would have cost $120!) Will that put off the bees?. What else should I be doing if anything?

I'll sign this

"someone who would like a lot of bees in her garden but knows absolutely nothing about them".

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner