Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Totally in need of help

Posted by SueFromUK 6 (susanvilliere@adelphia.net) on
Wed, Mar 30, 05 at 7:35

A while back at the Convention for Master Gardeners in MD, I attended a class on building little homes for a certain kind of tiny bee, BUT I now forget which one. They were to be beneficial to the garden...eating perhaps the bad insects,(are they carniverous?) or maybe just helping things along with lots of pollinating. I was given a little house, as an example of what to copy, it was about 2" deep by about 3.5" long and 2" wide...and there was a checker board of tiny little holes across it's front...(one would have to use one of the very smallest of one's drill bits), and a sweet little slanted roof.. The whole thing was made of cedar.
Well a friend built 10 for me out of a piece of cedar that I had purchased,and the questions now are. For which bee have I built? Where should I hang these 10 cosy little charmers? Will the fact that the 10 new bee homes are not as wide as the original one (availability of the right size of piece of cedar, the one I bought cost $13, if I'd duplicated the size of the example house, the piece would have cost $120!) Will that put off the bees?. What else should I be doing if anything?
I'll sign this
"someone who would like a lot of bees in her garden but knows absolutely nothing about them".

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Totally in need of help

I'm guessing that your bee blocks were patterned after the one in the link below. Whether or not you have this particular wasp in your area is anyone's guess (the seller of the wasp block at the link is in Washington state).

There are thousands of types of native bees and many of them are very small, so if that particular wasp doesn't use it, some solitary bee probably will. All you can do is observe the nesting blocks and see who shows up to use them.

The depth of the block (depth of the holes) is more important than the heighth or width. Varying the heighth or width shouldn't matter.

Hopefully the cedar that was used isn't Red Cedar - the kind used in cedar chests because it repels moths. The bees/wasps would probably avoid it for the same reason that moth's do.

It's usually better to mount bee blocks to something solid, rather than hang them. It's difficult to land on something that is swinging in the wind. All that movement could also separate the bee larvae from it's food supply or even throw it out of the nest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bee Block with Small Holes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here