Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessicasgrowincitrus

Mason Bees- {Winter Storage} Beginner Advise?

This will be my first season keeping bees so I have been doing as much research as I can in hopes of having a successful season.

I am keeping the bees to pollinate my apple trees and blueberry bushes. There is a ton of lavender and other flowers in my yard for them to enjoy, and our yard backs up to a marsh so mud is readily available to them.

I have decided on a Beediverse bee house with stacking trays instead of the solid block and straw style. I think it will be easier to clean and maintain the house that way.

The only question I have is about bee winter storage. I plan on purchasing bees this first season, but next winter when I harvest the cocoons from my bee house what is the best way to store them in the fridge?

I am not sure what kind of container I should use. A cardboard box? A plastic container?

Does the container need holes in it, or should I just open it periodically to let in fresh air?

I have read that they will need a bit of moisture too. Is a wet paper towel in the crisper drawer with the bees going to be enough? (Not in the container with the cocoons, just in the drawer with their winter storage box).

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

~Jessica

Comments (3)

Sponsored