Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
booshified

I want to build a native bee house

booshified
10 years ago

Hello,

I have been toying with the idea of building a native bee house. I recently replanted my front yard with a lot of water wise flowers and flowering bushes. The front yard isnt too big maybe 40X20. I figure this would be a good location for the house. The problem is that the front yard is on the west side of the house. I have read that the native bees prefer a east facing spot so they get the morning sun. Would this be a huge deal?

Another option could possibly be under an overhang on the south side of the house. The bees would have to travel maybe 50-75 feet to the flowers if I did this.

I am trying to avoid the back yard because the wife is deathly afraid of bees. Yes I know that these arent the same as honey bees but it would still be a big problem with her.

Obviously anywhere I put the house they are going to go all around but I am just trying to find a the best spot.

Any input about the location would be helpful. Also any input about the building of the house itself would also be helpful.

Thanks,
B San Diego

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz