Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
speedfreakian

setting up my new hive

speedfreakian
13 years ago

Hello,

This will be my first try at beekeeping. My plan is this. I've got a 3LB package coming in about a month. I want to use all medium supers, so that I don't have to fuss with a bunch of different sized frames. I want to use all frames with wax dipped plastic foundation. I ordered 20 of them, but I've since heard of some people's bees rejecting the plastic foundation. so now I'm wondering. Lastly, I made my hive myself, and now I'm wondering about my bottom board. When my frames are in the hive, there's maybe a half inch of space between the bottom of the frames and the bottom board. Will this get filled with comb and make a big mess?

Thanks.

Comments (4)

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

No, no mess, sometimes when they build a bit of burr comb on bottom,
    then you'll cut it off. This is about the right space for many reason's....like winterkill, bees cant get out and die inside of hive...lots of room to pile up on the board, also space for mite check/count with sticky board, I do mite treatment on this also.
    No problem with waxed plastic foundation, they will use it.
    Are you running two medium for brood? Then that will take 10 frames each, you need about another 20 frames for honey super. I run two deeps for brood, another two deep for honey.
    Konrad

• speedfreakian
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Konrad. I was thinking I'd need 3 mediums for brood and two (or three?) more for honey, because 3 mediums is about the same as two deep. So when I get my package should I start with one or two mediums? I was thinking i'd start with one and add more as it gets full.

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

This sounds good, only use as much as needed for space, they will go hard at work start building cells for queen to lay in. I remember when I started several years back, the queen laid first or second day already. Don't be surprised when the amount bees slightly drops in two weeks or so because you have no new bees for 21 day's at least and older bees will die off. Add another box when you see box getting filled with bees and about 2 frames not drawn yet.

• lisascenic Urban Gardener, Oakland CA
    13 years ago

I use an all-medium system. Nice and modular.