Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please HElP with my bee's

Posted by digginitup agoura hills,calif. (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 28, 09 at 14:22

I let honey bee's make a home in an empty wet vac that is in the corner of my yard. It has been peaceful and active for a year. A week ago a swarm was spotted by a neighbor. That evening I crept back there and bee's were quietly doing their thing. I don't know if they were just drones or not. Today the bee's are swirling in the air all above the hive. Usually I see only a direct pattern with little chaos. Can someone help me? Is this what an active beehive behaves like this time of year? How much room could be left in a wet vac to house them? I just wanted Mother Nature to do her thing and let the bee's exist. Please HELP!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please HElP with my bee's

When it gets too cramped in the shop vac, the queen will leave with part of the hive after new queen cells have been capped in the original hive. A new queen (or queens)will hatch, mate and the hive will continue. here's a link to some california associations.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214846

o

Thank you Tony! I will check it out! The bee's also have less shade due to a neighbor cutting down a tree that same day ( a week after the queen split) The same swirling chaos continued each day the temp. was 78-80 degree's. Can I provide shade using a standing patio umbrella? That area is going to be so hot soon. I can do it at night. What do you think?

o

Often in the later part of the afternoon,younger bees will leave the hive and buzz around in front to orient themselves to the outside of the hive. These are a lot of the new forager population that have never been out of the hive before. If they start to get too hot,they will beard on the outside of the hive until it cools down.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,18277.0.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here