Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
neighborhood bees

Posted by petcarpenter 7b Abilene,TX (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 22, 05 at 15:17

I once asked this forum about feeding all of the bees in my yard.From that time,I have keept water out for them and they love it.I can wander amongst them with no problems,they have never shown any agression.
When my post was answered I was told that with as many bees as I was seeing,the hive was pretty close,within 100 yards.I have found it in my neighbor across the alleys storage shed.I know that they have small kids and he has stopped mowing near the shed.
I really enjoy the little guys but would guess that my neighbor is ready to be rid of them.We are raising our two yearold grandson, so bringing them home would not be good.Is there some way to convince them to leave without harming them or the honey?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: neighborhood bees

Texas A&M University quarantined Taylor County (Abilene) in 1999 as having AHB (the so-called, 'Killer bees'). Current recommendations for public safety includes reporting and having the nest of any feral colony removed or destroyed. Your neighbor is wise not to mow in the area of this hive. Even if this hive is presently of European linage, the odds of it remaining so are pretty remote. As best I recall, I believe there were three people killed by AHB last year in Texas. The first was a fellow felling a tree with a chainsaw in east Texas, the second was a guy mowing in the Galveston/Free Port area and the third fellow, just south of Dallas (I don't recall what he was doing...maybe mowing too (?). These were all confirmed AHB kills - if there were other deaths due to AHB, I don't recall reading about them. When AHB are individually out foraging (such as, for water), they're not likely to be aggressive. However a disturbance in their immediate nest area is very likely to set them off. Where they've taken over a "managed" hive, something as simple as a shadow passing over the hive's entrance can bring them boiling out of the hive. The safe thing in your neighbor's situation (your case), would be to get a beekeeper in there (or even, pest control) and get them gone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here